Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! First, I've searched the forum and Google for information on this but the posts I've found are old and typically contain links that no longer work.
So, I'll ask for help again:

I found this spoon some years ago on a Delaware beach, and I didn't think much of it. I put it on a shelf with some other finds, but recently I saw a post about an old spoon and that post made me realize that my spoon may be older than I thought.

Can anyone point me to a current resource to read about how to establish age of a spoon like this?
Is anyone willing to use your knowledge to just answer the question? (I.e. how old is this soon?)

Thanks!

xpT43S9.jpg DQaL2QZ.jpg
zKHyD6i.jpg
XydmIAY.jpg
XekzmCv.jpg
(this last image shows some sort of blemish on the back of the bowl. Any insight into that would be appreciated!)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool spoon !

moved to the proper forum fore questions. Good Luck :coffee2:

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pattern is “Court” from the International Silver Company (ISC) based in Meriden, Connecticut and was introduced in 1939. I think you’ll find the spoon is silver plate or white metal and not pewter as such.

Court Pattern.jpg

The company was formed in 1898 as a co-operative of multiple small New England Makers with the intention of sharing resources and increasing their commercial muscle in the market place. Later the William Rogers Company of Hartford, Connecticut joined the company too and I believe they originated this pattern within the ISC group. Some manufacturers traded under the ISC umbrella and only used that mark, while others used the ISC branding in addition to their own name. You’ll find this pattern with both ISC and Wm. Rogers branding.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: I have no idea why it has that flat spot on the base of the bowl. Factory reject? Modified by someone for some unknown purpose?

Upvote 0

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of silverware history in the Meriden, Wallingford, CT area. Some of the factories are still around and have been repurposed to housing, etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pattern is “Court” from the International Silver Company (ISC) based in Meriden, Connecticut and was introduced in 1939. I think you’ll find the spoon is silver plate or white metal and not pewter as such.

View attachment 1813078

The company was formed in 1898 as a co-operative of multiple small New England Makers with the intention of sharing resources and increasing their commercial muscle in the market place. Later the William Rogers Company of Hartford, Connecticut joined the company too and I believe they originated this pattern within the ISC group. Some manufacturers traded under the ISC umbrella and only used that mark, while others used the ISC branding in addition to their own name. You’ll find this pattern with both ISC and Wm. Rogers branding.

Thank you so much Red-Coat! I guess the surf and sand wore off all the silver plating.
The spoon was found near the Indian River Life Saving Station in Delaware, so it was probably used - and lost - by someone working there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_River_Life-Saving_Station

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great advice from Red-Coat and Mudflap, nice to see that you're close to getting your spoon identified Brian. :thumbsup:

Dave

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: I have no idea why it has that flat spot on the base of the bowl. Factory reject? Modified by someone for some unknown purpose?
I'm thinking it may have been subject to a long duration of just melting temperature heat from maybe being in a smoldering burning trash heap.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread