What's new

Help with I.D.?

  • Thread starter Thread starter l2hunt
  • Start date Start date
L

l2hunt

Guest
Hi All, found this today and and could use some help with I.D., thanks in advance!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0229.webp
    IMG_0229.webp
    486.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0231.webp
    IMG_0231.webp
    628.5 KB · Views: 76
There are numerous stylistic variations in portrait and also various mintmarks and other symbols around the eagle on the reverse, but it appears to be a tetradrachm from the Greek Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt. Looks to be Ptolemy II Philadelphos (285-254BC).

Ptolemy II.webp

At least that’s what it’s trying to be, but it appears to be a poor fake that has been silver-washed or plated. I would say modern rather than a contemporary counterfeit.
 
Last edited:
Looks to be a replica of a Greek coin, not sure just which one. [Looks like Red-Coat beat me by a minute!]
 
Thank you both very much, appreciate the info, still a cool find anyway!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom