What's new

Help with id a spur I dug at a Site

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
1,611
Reaction score
407
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I dug this at a site the other day that I think might have had some civil war activity. I dug a couple of 3 ring bullets out of the site. I dug this the other day and flipped out. The spur looked so nice with its green patina. I had to take it home. If some of you guys are familiar with spurs could help me Id this one I would greatly appreciate it. I have done some research and have drawn a blank. There are so many out there and I don't have a book to look it up on. I have provided 3 pictures using a tape measure for width and length. Hope somebody will help me out. Thanks in advance... :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1962.webp
    IMG_1962.webp
    81.9 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_1968.webp
    IMG_1968.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_1969.webp
    IMG_1969.webp
    38.3 KB · Views: 343
Zaxfire 69, I want to comment on your spur. But please understand I am not an expert on spurs. I did look in Stanley Phillips and Howard Couch's books as both have a good selection of spurs. Without holding the spur in my hands I am leaning to calling this a Confederate spur. The typical union spur had a more pronounced square look to the ends. The design of your spur looks a lot like the spur that had the CS on it, made by Memphis Novelty Works. The enlisted man's varity of this spur tends to be a little larger and heavier. Hopefully someone with better expertise will come forward with a better identification for you, but for now I am calling it a Confederate variant. Nice find however you call it. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I agree with DugGap on this also. Either way though it is a super nice find. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Well I thank all of you guys for helping me out on this one. The spot I am digging has a great deal of Confederate history. In fact our little town has a good bit of Confederate history, that is untill the Union guys came in and took over. ;D I am hoping possibly I could go back out to the spot I found this one at and find another or the other. Confederate items are alot more valuable USUALLY than Union finds right. Hopefully I can find some more stuff. Boy a nice buckle sure would be nice about right now. Thanks for everything guys. I guess you can put a check mark out by my post now. You guys Id is good enough for me. Thanks everyone.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Spur ID
Replies
8
Views
745

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom