What's new

Help with ID please…..

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2007
Messages
3,295
Reaction score
2,665
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vicksburg Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I know my buddy don't know how to wear socks, but I'm wondering what he is holding? I'm thinking maybe it goes on an early farm implement?
 

Attachments

  • aaa.webp
    aaa.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 176
It's a laundry punch/ponch/posser/plunger/dolly... You pick the name... Early 20th C. I couldn't find a pic of one like that but it is described below:

[In the early 1900s]... a 'dolly'... was a four- or five-legged stool attached to an upright handle across which there was a crossbar handle. In Birmingham the stool was replaced by a block of wood, indented at intervals, which was properly called a laundry punch
 
Upvote 0
I looked up a ton of those and this does not seem to resemble anything on those machines. Notice the wooden square part is like a shutter with see through slats.
It's a laundry punch/ponch/posser/plunger/dolly... You pick the name... Early 20th C. I couldn't find a pic of one like that but it is described below:
 
Upvote 0
?????????? It was pics of people ???????

It was sarcasm... Google image search was trying to match your friend's sock fashion statement.

OK so what do we know about this item? It was made to be used with two hands. It's fairly big. It likely inserted into a slot. I believe it was used to swish liquid. My best guess was laundry because everybody has to do laundry. Lots of people made butter as well, but I don't think it was butter because butter would clog the "shutter slots".

So, either it was a type of hand washer that we can't find a picture of or it was used to swish some other kind of liquid. Thoughts?
 
Upvote 0
Oh I agree, I think it was on a bigger item. I think that the top was a handle to pull up on or it may even be to pull down on with the louver over head? I don't think laundry because of the louvers, and I looked a a million old washing machines and nothing was close. I agree not for butter either. Sorry I missed the sarcasm. LOL

It was sarcasm... Google image search was trying to match your friend's sock fashion statement.

OK so what do we know about this item? It was made to be used with two hands. It's fairly big. It likely inserted into a slot. I believe it was used to swish liquid. My best guess was laundry because everybody has to do laundry. Lots of people made butter as well, but I don't think it was butter because butter would clog the "shutter slots".

So, either it was a type of hand washer that we can't find a picture of or it was used to swish some other kind of liquid. Thoughts?
 
Upvote 0
Rethinking this one ...

Maybe it's the door from a chute. Like from a corn sheller or some kind of grain equipment. Or a livestock feeder... :dontknow:

I've been looking and haven't seen anything even close... yet...
 
Upvote 0
Whatever it is, I feel like you dip it into something. I thought laundry too, but the louvres confuse me for that.
 
Upvote 0
Mike
Any chance you can get more (better) pictures of this piece?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom