What's new

? Help with ID

shootist

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2006
Messages
760
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I found this near a creek in Indiana 6 or 8 years ago,have no idea abou IMG_20160221_001951[1].webpt it,not even sure if its real?IMG_20160221_001936[1].webpIMG_20160221_002011[2].webp
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a nice pick bannerstone, and it is real, we just don't know if authentic. How about a better pic of the hole?
 
Wow what made you hang onto it for so long seeing you didnt know what it was? I will give you a crisp 20 for it :)
 
IVe always thought it to be an indian artifact,put it in the drawer years ago,took a couple pics of it a couple months ago,had my phone plugged in puter last night dragging some stuff off...
 
Nice find shootist, as already stated by others, it's a "pick Bannerstone" , a straight pick, made of banded slate which is the norm for that style. There are exceptions as far as material goes but they are an exception to the rule.
If the hole in yours was done using the hollow core/hollow read method you should be able to see fine thread scars in the hole, otherwise it's was probably solid core drilled. At least a dozen "pick" style Bannerstones have been documented from Indiana from as many different countries (12). All pick style Bannerstones that have been found in dateable contexts date mid-Archaic period 4500-6000 BC.
Finding even a piece of any type of Bannerstone is relatively rare, and finding one pretty good condition is even rarer.
On a sadder note fakes abound and as Bannerstones goes there are probably more fakes on the market than authentic ones, but if you personally found it in the creek you've got a nice piece of North American Indian history!
 
Ok I have my phone charging and will really get some better pics of it tonight,I found this right next to a creek in Greenfield,IN in Hancock county while metal detecting. Ive never really been sure if it was real or maybe off a kids toy or something. I have seen similar items posted here described as banner stones,never heard the term 'pick banner',even if it is a fake it looks like it took some effort to produce,Ill get the pics on in a bit and maybe we will know more.
 
Ok here are a few more pics,I dont know if you can see in the hole or not,its with my phone so...I can try and dig my camera out if these are no help. The arrowhead my grandma gave me lotta years ago before she died not sure about it either?IMG_20160405_233738[1].webpIMG_20160405_233807[1].webpIMG_20160405_233933[1].webpIMG_20160405_233950[1].webpIMG_20160405_233957[1].webp
 
Your new pictures don't really reveal anything different about your relic, the first pictures were sufficient. It is what it is, a round straight pick Bannerstone made of banded slate. I'm guessing you don't know what Bannerstones are, or are thought to be, or what an Atlatl is?
Here are a few pictures of some variously different styled Pick Bannerstones. Notice how many have been found in Indiana.ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459921308.161445.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459921334.643331.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459921350.027639.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459921376.563952.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459921405.365896.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459921431.883941.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459921449.867522.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459921465.185705.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459921482.019755.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459921499.971997.webp
 
Be PROUD!!! That's a KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
No I am aware of what bannerstones are(thought to be),it is my understanding they were used for ceremonies of some sort and not used as a daily tool,I had just not heard the term 'pick' bannerstone but I do see why it would be called that by the shape. I still am not certain one way or the other as to its authenticity,Im sure I could get better pictures with my camera if that would help any,I wasnt really clear on what sort of marks I was looking for in the hole.
 
Hey shootist, I'm having a hard time understanding your concern about authenticity, you said that you found it while metal detecting, reproductions and fakes aren't laying out there in the dirt, they're in collections and on eBay and other internet sites etc.. If you found it as said it's got a round hole going through it (all the way if the hole was finished)). Because it is a"pick" style Bannerstone the hole is all but guaranteed to be "solid drilled" rather than "hollow reed drilled", that means no systematic thread scars in the hole.
Better pictures would be great too, just so we can see what you found better, they are pretty poor pictures.
There is an Artifact Show coming up in June at Lebanon, IN, you might want to check it out and show your piece to the collectors there, I'm sure they'd be interested in seeing it. I think that's only a half hour or so drive from your location.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom