Help with identifying if possible meteorites!

EDavis

Aug 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A20DBDB5-E629-459C-8981-C107AE3ED6DE.jpeg

Attachments

• AFF0C3BA-25B9-4498-AF9C-73F2633F396C.jpeg
    AFF0C3BA-25B9-4498-AF9C-73F2633F396C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 7CFF0292-3E6A-4E71-BC2D-09C80D4AFEE4.jpeg
    7CFF0292-3E6A-4E71-BC2D-09C80D4AFEE4.jpeg
    874.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 3970A8FE-EA08-4A51-8C39-670A4567F182.jpeg
    3970A8FE-EA08-4A51-8C39-670A4567F182.jpeg
    778.6 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 1
OP
OP
EDavis

EDavis

Aug 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted pictures before typing any info. I dug these from the yard. Both have magnetism not so much as the first pictured. The first one I did do a scratch test on ceramic which didn’t leave a streak. The odd colors are neat. The second one is just crusted looking but has more magnetism. It will barely stay on magnet and the first one will slightly move if laid flat.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. I do not know if meteorites, but I like the way the first one looks. There are several meteorite folks here so sure they will help you out when they come along.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely not meteorites, sorry. But if they were meteorites cutting them in half will detract from the 'value' to some collectors, myself included, although by value I don't necessarily mean monetary value. You may be able to sell a cut meteorite for the same price as a whole one but it will lower the appeal to a large segment of the market.

OP
OP
EDavis

EDavis

Aug 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there's any need to cut those in half to check if they are meteorites. Sadly they aren't and have no features to suggest that they might be. Quite the opposite in fact.
Thanks for information, is it common to have magnetism in some rocks. The first stone didn’t leave any streak on the back side of tile and has slight magnetic properties. It is also very tough stone. Any other ideas of what it could also be.

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for information, is it common to have magnetism in some rocks. The first stone didn’t leave any streak on the back side of tile and has slight magnetic properties. It is also very tough stone. Any other ideas of what it could also be.
I just got one approved, they have to cut it to get approved.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arnt most meteorites
MAGNETIC ?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many common rocks have at least some attraction to a magnet. Native iron is a rare terrestrial material and only found in particular locations, but anything having significant amounts of the iron oxide mineral magnetite can be strongly magnetic. Usually such rocks are principally hematite with secondary magnetite and will leave a characteristic red/brown streak on a porcelain tile though.

Weaker magnetic attraction is a common property of a wider variety of rocks (many of which will leave no streak), notably those in the basalt family, from minor amounts of magnetite plus minerals such as ilmenite or ulvöspinel (both iron-titanium oxides). I don’t think it can reliably said what your rocks are without close examination in hand, but (for example) these are basaltic pebbles (picture is copyrighted, so I am only providing a link):

If you Google the term you’ll see lots of other examples. Weird marks like those on your first rock can arise in all kinds of ways… from shrinkage during cooling of igneous rocks, from invasion or differential crystallisation of secondary minerals as web-like veins which then erode from the host rock during water transport and from surface scarring during glacial or glacial meltwater transport of cobble and pebble-sized rocks. Those kinds of marks are absolutely not characteristic of meteorites though.

It’s true that most meteorites are attracted to a magnet but because that only applies to “most” it’s not a conclusive test. Some chondrite meteorites in the ‘LL’ class (Low total metal/Low native metal) are only barely attracted to a strong magnet, carbonaceous chondrites usually not attracted, and stony achondrites rarely attracted (but never strongly so). However, what can be said with 100% certainty is that if a rock has a metallic appearance or exhibits any veins or flecks of metal and is not attracted to a magnet then it isn’t a meteorite.

A meteorite doesn’t have to be cut to confirm it as such, and certainly doesn’t need to be cut in half. There are many non-destructive tests (or at least which leave minimal noticeable marks) that an expert laboratory can perform for confirmation. Cutting is however usually necessary for typology classification. Even then, a small ‘window’ is usually all that is needed, not a full cut through the specimen.

OP
OP
EDavis

EDavis

Aug 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many common rocks have at least some attraction to a magnet. Native iron is a rare terrestrial material and only found in particular locations, but anything having significant amounts of the iron oxide mineral magnetite can be strongly magnetic. Usually such rocks are principally hematite with secondary magnetite and will leave a characteristic red/brown streak on a porcelain tile though.

Weaker magnetic attraction is a common property of a wider variety of rocks (many of which will leave no streak), notably those in the basalt family, from minor amounts of magnetite plus minerals such as ilmenite or ulvöspinel (both iron-titanium oxides). I don’t think it can reliably said what your rocks are without close examination in hand, but (for example) these are basaltic pebbles (picture is copyrighted, so I am only providing a link):

If you Google the term you’ll see lots of other examples. Weird marks like those on your first rock can arise in all kinds of ways… from shrinkage during cooling of igneous rocks, from invasion or differential crystallisation of secondary minerals as web-like veins which then erode from the host rock during water transport and from surface scarring during glacial or glacial meltwater transport of cobble and pebble-sized rocks. Those kinds of marks are absolutely not characteristic of meteorites though.

It’s true that most meteorites are attracted to a magnet but because that only applies to “most” it’s not a conclusive test. Some chondrite meteorites in the ‘LL’ class (Low total metal/Low native metal) are only barely attracted to a strong magnet, carbonaceous chondrites usually not attracted, and stony achondrites rarely attracted (but never strongly so). However, what can be said with 100% certainty is that if a rock has a metallic appearance or exhibits any veins or flecks of metal and is not attracted to a magnet then it isn’t a meteorite.

A meteorite doesn’t have to be cut to confirm it as such, and certainly doesn’t need to be cut in half. There are many non-destructive tests (or at least which leave minimal noticeable marks) that an expert laboratory can perform for confirmation. Cutting is however usually necessary for typology classification. Even then, a small ‘window’ is usually all that is needed, not a full cut through the specimen.

Thank you for the info..sounds like you are very knowledgeable. I will look into the rocks mentioned.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe coprolite, don't know but a possibility.

Graphicbadger92

Greenie
Apr 13, 2021
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Sharp shooter 2, hand held detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice iv found similar rocks that test as jade on my presidium gemtester2 . If it helps any they are identical .all but the size is exact same

hardness ,scratch test and color too , from what info we have been provided I have cuts of mine I cut a few days ago . Iv many Jeremy jade items in my piles of gem rough .

Graphicbadger92

Greenie
Apr 13, 2021
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Sharp shooter 2, hand held detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll go get a few pieces to see what cut is like. if your not able to cut it . If clear should shape it with proper shaping compound it might turn clear once past the outer rough layer of scratches and damaged areas . At the least you will have a polished stone if not a gemstone . Perfect for wrapping or jewelry. Many jewelers would take a liking to that few stones you have . Maybe ask your local jeweler he has a presidium tester I’m sure . Could tell you exactly what it is .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread