Help With M6

M

miser

Help!

I'm am going nuts!!

I just bought an M6 a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the beach and got skunked. Not the machine's fault, I guess I wasn't looking in the right places. Still, a little discouraging.

This morning, I went to a local park. Set my discrimination at low and started. Got lots of iron signals, as expected. But every single, penny, dime and quarter reading I got was an aluminum can. Every single ONE!! AARRGGHH!! I'm doing all this digging and all I'm getting is garbage!!!! Garbage, garbage, and more garbage. I can't even get a penny!

What good is an indicator that hasn't been right a single time?? I know it has to be me. Does anyone know what I'm doing that's so completely wrong?

I can't believe it's the discrimination. It just picks up more stuff, but it shouldn't be reading it incorrectly.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I have a M6 and a Fisher ID Excel.No matter the detector you are to dig trash.With the M6 I find if the VDI jumps around a lot and the coin tone is not clear through the tone( I hunt usually in 7 tone mode) it"s most likely trash.The M6 is a good unit,maybe you are hunting in a very trashy spot.YOU WILL COINS IF THEY ARE THERE!.Good Luck.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Miser,

I've had my M6, which is my first detector, for a few months now. When I first started using it, it was very frustrating! Lots of noise, and mis-identified targets! As I'm getting more time with it, I'm starting to understand the chatter.

As tom pointed out, a consistent signal is key! A coin, or similarly sized non-ferrous object will give a very distinct, repeatable signal. A coin will come in as a very defined "boink" type of sound, where as a can, or larger object will have softer edges to the sound, and will be obviously bigger. A good trick is to lift the coil several inches off the ground, if you still get a good strong signal, odds are the object is a lot bigger than a coin.

I've also found that rusty iron can false as non-ferrous, especially nails. The thing to remember is that if the signal is iffy at all, try rotating your way around it. If it's iron that is falsing, when you get 50 degrres or so around the signal, you'll probably start to hear it break up, and may start getting a mixed coin/iron tone.

I borrowed a copy of this fellows DVD www.dankowskidetectors.com/ and it helped me a ton with understanding all the info my detector was giving me!

I hunt exclusively in the 7 tone mode "toggle switch forward", and discrimination all the way down. Have you found any coins yet? Once you hear that tone a few times, it's easy to pick out from the other trashy objects. Of course, aluminum pull tabs are always going to fool you sometimes!

Stick with it, you'll get it figured out! ;)

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
miser said:
Help!

I'm am going nuts!!

I just bought an M6 a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the beach and got skunked. Not the machine's fault, I guess I wasn't looking in the right places. Still, a little discouraging.

This morning, I went to a local park. Set my discrimination at low and started. Got lots of iron signals, as expected. But every single, penny, dime and quarter reading I got was an aluminum can. Every single ONE!! AARRGGHH!! I'm doing all this digging and all I'm getting is garbage!!!! Garbage, garbage, and more garbage. I can't even get a penny!

What good is an indicator that hasn't been right a single time?? I know it has to be me. Does anyone know what I'm doing that's so completely wrong?

I can't believe it's the discrimination. It just picks up more stuff, but it shouldn't be reading it incorrectly.

What was the depth reading on the cans that read as dimes and quarters?
If they read overload or less than 4 inches, then you should lift your coil about 3 to 5 inches above the traget and scan again. You should get a correct reading on the item in the ground. If it is trash it should make a chatter or double blip......... not a good solid tone.
The M6 is a great coin finder. If coins are in the ground..... the M6 will find them, and accurately display what it is.

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
Plantsome different coins in the ground and learn the 7 different tones. If you listen to the tones you won't be digging as much trash. There is a few learning video's on Whites site that might help out, there free, just download.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread