What's new

Help with possible dime error (update with pics)

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got some pics up. Hope you can see what I "think" I see. Color is really silver, but had to color it a bit.

Original Message:
I have never posted anything like this before, so here goes. I will try to get our techno guy at work to help me get a pic tomorrow so you guys can see.

I was searching dimes, and found a 1977 that has around the obverse edge on the date side what looks like the word "united" upside down with a faded "states." It is highly visiable. At first glance, I thought it was just scratch marks, but it is as plain as day. It is if the coin was put on the die on the wrong side, someone discovered it, then turned it to the correct side and stamped the correct face. Could this be a keeper, or a common everyday error?

apush :read2:
 

Attachments

  • DIME1.webp
    DIME1.webp
    100.4 KB · Views: 385
  • DIme2.webp
    DIme2.webp
    179 KB · Views: 500
  • dimeback.webp
    dimeback.webp
    128.7 KB · Views: 451
Upvote 0
Re: Help with possible dime error

probably not an every day error. sounds like we need a pic. I found a dime error the other day too, I need to post a pic for.
the one I found looks like some kind of grease of die error, the coin is much darker, it looks like it is slightly smaller in diameter, along the rim of the coin there are a bunch of ridges and extra blobs of metal. On the outside rim of the coin, there are no ridges, it is completely flat, and the coin has no wear on it. Strangest dime I think I've ever seen.

Lets hope we both have some error coins.
 
Re: Help with possible dime error

i'd like to see a pic of that. the only thing that i can think of is maybe it was a weak planchet that was struck by the die and the upside down image you describe was transferred to the coin. :dontknow: :dontknow:just a guess :dontknow:
 
Re: Help with possible dime error

I would have to see a pic also. Planchets don't get put in "backwards". That's not how it works. Both sides are struck at the same time. Possibly a vise job? Or could be a die clash. Get the pic up and we'll figure it out.
HH
Gilbert
 
Re: Help with possible dime error

Sounds like a die clash error. The reverse image transfers to the obverse but is backwards. If so and you can see it pretty clearly, it's a very nice find.

If you want to sell it, let me know.

JasonB
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom