Help With Pottery Mark

stevecrocker

Nov 6, 2009
Sulphur Springs,Texas
This vase it right at two feet in height,very ornate and has a raised arrow mark on the bottom.There is the usual crazing you'd expect to find on an older item.I'd sure like to know where this was made if anyone knows.......Thanks!
I guess I have stumped the band with this pottery mark.....all these months and nobody knows?

Attachments

• DSCF1456.JPG
    DSCF1456.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 950
  • DSCF1460.JPG
    DSCF1460.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 651
Beautiful vase! But that is not a mark. It is just a lump. Vase is from China.

If there was a mark there you would know it. It would be in blue or red ink. Otherwise it would be indented with a mark and not raised.

jimb said:
If there was a mark there you would know it. It would be in blue or red ink. Otherwise it would be indented with a mark and not raised.
It is clearly a RAISED ARROW,I have two other pieces with similar marks,one is from England around 1750 and the other,as with this one,I'm not sure,however,not every mark has ink contained in it,the are over a dozen that I have seen so I don't know what to tell you.I know a FN mark when I see one.And by the way,since I posted that post I have talked to two of the leading experts at the National museum and they too see the raised arrow but weren't sure about which of three countries it was made.China was Not on the list...sorry...As far as red and blue ink,there is more old pottery that is marked in black ink than any.It was easier to come by and much more distinct for marking.Colored ink didn't come into the picture until much later in history.Red ink even later than that.The vase I have is in fact unique and very very old.Don't let the picture fool you either,this is not Chinese,the mark is raised which was very common in the era which I believe it was made.There are several books you might buy to understand marks and help identify them also.Otherwise you're just giving crap advice.I have educated myself alot since I posted this as well as carried it to the antique roadshow,Marburgers and Texas A&M Commerce to mention a few.NONE COULD IDENTIFY IT,my guess is you can't either but thanks for the reply.

The vase suggests to me that it is Japenese rather than Chinese. Look at how the ladies are dressed in their kimono's and the way their hair is styled. Do you have an antique shop near to where you live? they might be able to help you, or even a museum. It is a lovely piece and would certainly be worth the trouble, especially as it hasn't got any markings on.

You have a Japanese Satsuma "style" vase more precisely a piece of Awata ware. It is not as old as you think, it's from the Meiji to Taisho period. It dates from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. However it is very well decorated by a skilled artisan. The style of painting is called Kyo-Satsuma. The "arrow" mark is not a mark, just an imperfection. Take it or leave it. Most Awata ware was not marked, though it could have had a paper label once upon a time. Do the research now that you have a name. Hope this helps.

PS- It probably had a paper label at one time similar to this- http://www.trocadero.com/aaantiquesarts/items/1009377/en12.html

diggummup said:
You have a Japanese Satsuma "style" vase more precisely a piece of Awata ware. It is not as old as you think, it's from the Meiji to Taisho period. It dates from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. However it is very well decorated by a skilled artisan. The style of painting is called Kyo-Satsuma. The "arrow" mark is not a mark, just an imperfection. Take it or leave it. Most Awata ware was not marked, though it could have had a paper label once upon a time. Do the research now that you have a name. Hope this helps.

PS- It probably had a paper label at one time similar to this- http://www.trocadero.com/aaantiquesarts/items/1009377/en12.html
This helps tremendously,thank you.I have looked everywhere for any info on this vase and this is the first that leads anywhere.Good going and I thank you again,Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back