Help With WBTS Bullet ID Please

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 45cal_div.jpg
    45cal_div.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 367
  • 30cal_div.jpg
    30cal_div.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 374

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The second one has crimp marks in the groves. This would indicate post CW period as that method of loading had not come along back then.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
duggap said:
The second one has crimp marks in the groves. This would indicate post CW period as that method of loading had not come along back then.

I've heard that before, but I don't believe its always the case. See:

http://sgtriker.com/images/leet.jpg

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is so because it is only a .30 caliber. I am pretty sure the smalest handgun caliber incased at that time was probably .36 caliber, but nothing is certain. There are hundreds of old bullets that aren't ever perfectly identified. My best guess. Monty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Monty said:
I believe it is so because it is only a .30 caliber. I am pretty sure the smalest handgun caliber incased at that time was probably .36 caliber, but nothing is certain. There are hundreds of old bullets that aren't ever perfectly identified. My best guess. Monty

You folks are probably right then - that's why I post here - thanks to both of you!

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe the first bullet is a Richmond Laboratory (Confederate) pattern for .44 Army revolvers, particularly Colt revolvers. In addition to having just one groove, above a "tall base" (like yours), that bullet's length is recorded at .648-inch, and yours is .65-inch. See http://www.baymediapro.com/collection/bullet_details.asp?BID=404

I believe the second bullet is post-1866 ...probably by a lot. I will check with Dean & Jim Thomas to confirm whether or not all "reeded-groove" bullets are postwar. (By coincidence, I was talking with Dean Thomas at the Fredericksburg relic show on Saturday afternoon, but that was before I saw this discussion.) So I'll email him about the reeded-goove bullet being definitely-postwar -- or not.

Attachments

• bullet_44Richmond-Lab-for-44revolver_Confederate_469-1.jpg
    bullet_44Richmond-Lab-for-44revolver_Confederate_469-1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 940
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TheCannonballGuy said:
I believe the first bullet is a Richmond Laboratory (Confederate) pattern for .44 Army revolvers, particularly Colt revolvers. In addition to having just one groove, above a "tall base" (like yours), that bullet's length is recorded at .648-inch, and yours is .65-inch. See http://www.baymediapro.com/collection/bullet_details.asp?BID=404

I believe the second bullet is post-1866 ...probably by a lot. I will check with Dean & Jim Thomas to confirm whether or not all "reeded-groove" bullets are postwar. (By coincidence, I was talking with Dean Thomas at the Fredericksburg relic show on Saturday afternoon, but that was before I saw this discussion.) So I'll email him about the reeded-goove bullet being definitely-postwar -- or not.

Thanks CBG! I look forward to your response.

Upvote 0

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
Monty said:

Colt Model 1849 was .31 cal., Model 1855 was .28 cal. Both of these saw use during the war.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dcinffxva said:
Monty said:

Colt Model 1849 was .31 cal., Model 1855 was .28 cal. Both of these saw use during the war.

Thanks DC.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But not with cased ammo. The knurled lube rings shown in the second bullet are always cased/cartridge ammo and usually post war (swaged bullet making process vs. cast). CD Leet made cartridges up until 1887 and the early ones looked like:

Cdlstarr.jpg

Smooth grooves.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ranger Rick wrote:
> I've heard that before, but I don't believe its always the case. See: http://sgtriker.com/images/leet.jpg

When I told him I would check with the authors of the Thomas-&-Thomas "Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges", Ranger Rick replied:
> Thanks CBG! I look forward to your response.

I caught up with my friend Jim Thomas today, by telephone. He says the relic-dealer website photo showing a "reeded-groove" bullet as being a civil war period Leet pistol bullet in the T&T book is incorrect. He says that all bullets with "reeding" in the groove(s) are post-civil-war. The bullet/cartridge in the dealer's photo is a Leet but it is a postwar version ,,,which is definitely not shown in the Thomas-&-Thomas book.

For anybody here who doesn't already know... the term "reeding" refers to the short, tightly-packed, parallel ridges in the groove(s) of a bullet, and also on the edges of larger-denomination American coins.

If you see those multiple parallel ridges in the groove(s) on a bullet, it was manufactured later (usually, much later) than the American Civil War era (1861-65).

Attachments

• bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_photobyBebo_DSCN0240_855x642.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_photobyBebo_DSCN0240_855x642.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 406
  • bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_photobyBebo_DSCN0240_855x642.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_photobyBebo_DSCN0240_855x642.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 225
Upvote 0

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
Ranger Rick said:
dcinffxva said:
Monty said:

Thanks DC.

No prob, but I do concur with the reeding, makes it most likely post war.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dcinffxva said:
Ranger Rick said:
dcinffxva said:
Monty said:

Thanks DC.

No prob, but I do concur with the reeding, makes it most likely post war.

Thanks to everyone for the education. Please tell Mr. Thomas thanks for me.

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Valley Ranger , you have come a long way since 2011 , I joined T-net in 2012 .

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread