Help would be appreciated

Finding gold nuggets is difficult with detectors made specifically for the task. In theory any detector can find a gold nugget if it is large enough and shallow enough. In reality it is perhaps one of the most difficult detecting challenges there is, and making it even more difficult is not a good idea.

You own the detector and if you want to try and find gold with it no harm done. But realistically this is an inexpensive coin detector not really up to the task of finding gold nuggets. If you want to test it try small pieces of lead the same size as the gold nuggets you hope to find. I suggest a piece of lead 1/16" in diameter to no more than 1/8" diameter as a test piece.

Hi Steve
Very interesting and understandable words.
Thanks for the help.
I was actually wanted the Garrett ATX but would cost me $$$ !

To play the game you must FIRST pay the price. Buy used but not abused. That toy will help you learn how to detect in parks,beaches(dry sand only) and relics. It is mandatory to learn how to detect PRIOR to nugget shooting as toughest to learn,most expensive,dangerous and less than1% even stick with it for these very same reasons as NOT a path to riches. Just mutz/putz/learn and down the road give it a try as googled that unit and not a goona do diddly for nugggets as ground balancing is a tough act in heavy mineralized areas where nuggets are-John

gold flake, Steve and Hoser have given you top notch inputs and yes the ATX is beginning to look like a good machine.

Depending on where you are in the country your machine might just find a whole bunch of coins and or some jewelry, saving these finds will eventually add up to $'s towards the next machine. I own a GMT and really appreciate it as I Have found gold with it out in gold country. That last sentence is an important statement as 1) it says a particular machine finds native gold out in highly mineralized ground 2) it says that IF one can put the coil over gold, even a fairly small piece, that the machine will find it 3) one needs to be where gold is to find it.

The best of success with your birthday present! As has been said already practice is an absolute necessity if one is to find good targets with a detector so please practice, learn the machine, build a test garden to get you started and have fun. Also, welcome to Tnet!...............63bkpkr

thanks all !
great to get input like this
I am going to start on the farm were a picture of mine has been dows by "the watcher" exposed gold vien 1.jpg:icon_thumleft:

Finding gold nuggets is difficult with detectors made specifically for the task. In theory any detector can find a gold nugget if it is large enough and shallow enough. In reality it is perhaps one of the most difficult detecting challenges there is, and making it even more difficult is not a good idea.

You own the detector and if you want to try and find gold with it no harm done. But realistically this is an inexpensive coin detector not really up to the task of finding gold nuggets. If you want to test it try small pieces of lead the same size as the gold nuggets you hope to find. I suggest a piece of lead 1/16" in diameter to no more than 1/8" diameter as a test piece.

What is the best detector on the market to find lead deeper than 12"?
Thanks, L.C.

What is the best detector on the market to find lead deeper than 12"?
Thanks, L.C.

Minelab GPX 5000 with appropriate coil. To find a piece of lead over 12" the lead (gold test target) would have to be bigger than the 1/16" - 1/8" diameter test piece I have suggested. Something like that will only be found at a few inches, depending on coil, settings, and ground mineralization.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back