Help

SSargent

May 5, 2019
SWPA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all I am looking to purchase my first detector i have to stay under $300 for now i am in SWPA it will be used mainly for parks and ols homesites but would like to use it at the beach on vacations as well florida and SC i have considered a Mojave a F22 and a few others any recommendations would be helpful im leary of the Tesoro since they closed but it seems like a great first MD.

Thank You in advance

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A freind of mine was using the F22, I was impressed by it for the price...

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m in SWPA also, started with an ACE 250 and did very well. Our soil is very forgiving so an entry level detector can kill it if you can find some good spots. Most of my best finds when I started (gold coin, largies, Reales, gold rings, etc) we’re not deep, less than 6”. I would research entry level detectors that deal with EMI the best, otherwise you will find yourself at a great permission, but a power line overhead or underground will keep you from detecting. Good luck!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Tesoros work very well but better as you learn what they are all about.
As much as I love mine I always thought a screen unit with good info and VID numbers would be much easier to learn the basics with.
I used to recommend the great F2, fantastic treasure hunter and way fun but it has been replaced by the more advanced F22.
As a big Fisher fan I can assume the current lower Fisher offerings like that F22 will still be tons of fun and shockingly productive.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Recently spent days reviewing all the low priced detectors out there for a sister and believe the Ace series is a great choice and in particular the Ace 400 at about $340 inc misc packages. [Like the 10khz VLF frequency and 8.5 x 11 DD coil).

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
SSargent, good luck on the new purchase. I would recommend getting one even a real cheap one with any, and I mean "any" type of ground tracking or ground balancing. Some will say that the turn on and go machines are good enough now that ground balance doesn't matter. But don't buy into that, it does matter as does the type of coil. If you could throw an extra hundred at it it would help but performance is where you find it. What ever you purchase remember to learn how to use the machine and practice with it. I wouldn't be afraid at using any of the $200 dollar bounty hunter stuff with their Auto tracking for the ground balance.

Good Luck!
Stay Gold!!
Opie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread