What's new

What are some decent $400 (ish) detectors?

Joined
Jun 5, 2014
Messages
14
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hollywood, MD
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 / Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have an Equinox 800 and looking to get another detector to have as a spare, but also have an extra to allow others to use. I have about $400 in Cabelas points and gift cards, so I figured that this is a starting price point. Should I stay with Minelab or purchase a different brand? I don't have any extra coils or accessories for my Equinox, so I don't have an inventory of parts that I would want to use on another Minelab detector. I have family in Florida, so I would be taking both detectors on vacation to the beach. I would want something that is decent on saltwater beaches. I have never taken my Equinox in the water detecting, so I don't know if the extra detector would be used in saltwater or not. What other information should I consider?
 
Upvote 0
I currently have an Equinox 800 and looking to get another detector to have as a spare, but also have an extra to allow others to use. I have about $400 in Cabelas points and gift cards, so I figured that this is a starting price point. Should I stay with Minelab or purchase a different brand? I don't have any extra coils or accessories for my Equinox, so I don't have an inventory of parts that I would want to use on another Minelab detector. I have family in Florida, so I would be taking both detectors on vacation to the beach. I would want something that is decent on saltwater beaches. I have never taken my Equinox in the water detecting, so I don't know if the extra detector would be used in saltwater or not. What other information should I consider?
serious metal detectors has a sale on the XP Deus I for 499
They are a sponsor here on TN
1750677890398.webp
 
serious metal detectors has a sale on the XP Deus I for 499
They are a sponsor here on TN
View attachment 2213782
Their search engine needs work.
First attempts 500+ items
Second search 325 items for the Deus 1
First attempt for Deus l gave all the Deus ll products.
Screenshot_20250623_074953_Chrome.webp
 
A detector that will work good in salt water needs to be multi-frequency. I doubt there's a decent one in your price range.
 
Minelab Vanquish 540 $399.00
 
  • Like
Reactions: RKW
Sounds like he was uncertain whether he would use it in salt water or not. At the beach, I'd want a waterproof machine regardless.
 
I currently have an Equinox 800 and looking to get another detector to have as a spare, but also have an extra to allow others to use. I have about $400 in Cabelas points and gift cards, so I figured that this is a starting price point. Should I stay with Minelab or purchase a different brand? I don't have any extra coils or accessories for my Equinox, so I don't have an inventory of parts that I would want to use on another Minelab detector. I have family in Florida, so I would be taking both detectors on vacation to the beach. I would want something that is decent on saltwater beaches. I have never taken my Equinox in the water detecting, so I don't know if the extra detector would be used in saltwater or not. What other information should I consider?
You should buy that Minelab Xterra Elite! Everyone that i know absolutely loves it!
 
A detector that will work good in salt water needs to be multi-frequency. I doubt there's a decent one in your price range.
What are some models that you recommend? Since this would be a back up to my Equinox or a loaner, I don't need the best machine. I was just looking for something that would work if I took someone to the beach with me. What price range should I look at?
 
He doesn't take his Equinox in the water anyway does he?
Once, I get a waterproof headset, I am thinking about hitting the shore. I was looking at the Vanquish, but also looking at the X-terra.
 
You should buy that Minelab Xterra Elite! Everyone that i know absolutely loves it!
I have been looking at the Xterra Elite Expedition Pack, but my wife won't be happy about it. I like that it comes with headphones and an extra coil. Cabela's has it for $599 and I get a 10% military discount. I need more points on my card or more gift cards.
 
I have been looking at the Xterra Elite Expedition Pack, but my wife won't be happy about it. I like that it comes with headphones and an extra coil. Cabela's has it for $599 and I get a 10% military discount. I need more points on my card or more gift

Once, I get a waterproof headset, I am thinking about hitting the shore. I was looking at the Vanquish, but also looking at the X-terra.
Once, I get a waterproof headset, I am thinking about hitting the shore. I was looking at the Vanquish, but also looking at the X-terra.
I have a Like new Vanquish 440, i used it one time and put it back in the box. I have 7 detectors and just don,t use it much. I will let it go for $300.00 shipped to your door if that is what you are looking for.
 
I have an almost new X-Terra Elite Expedition Pack for sale for $450, add a bit more for shipping. Where are you located?

Here's the listing:
 
Once, I get a waterproof headset, I am thinking about hitting the shore. I was looking at the Vanquish, but also looking at the X-terra.
Single frequency VLF machines do NOT work well on wet saltwater sand, or in saltwater. You need the X-Terra Elite (Simultaneous Multi-Frequency) "SMF" or the Vanquish. The Vanquish BOX Is NOT Waterproof, just the coil. The X-Terra Elite is completely waterproof.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom