I need to see it sideways, and I would love a real close-up of the scratchings. I like pieces that have been done on old rock. I am a tussinger addict. But even from what I can see there seems to be some level of patina on that scratch. But can we see a side view?? And a really close close-up of the bird scratchings.
Defacing old rock to make it look more "Indian" was common for a while. Especially in the forties. It is what tussinger ended up doing. He obviously found a cache, and made them eccentric. But analysis says the original blades were Paleo. And very skinny. He rechipped at least 800 pieces. Imagine THAT cache in its original state? It makes me shiver lol.
I might spend the $30 and have it papered. I would bet the base material is old. How old is impossible to say. Some of you know this stuff way more than me. But I have farming tools from where my wife lived in Woodstock and Hurley and upstate new York that could be 1000 years old and could be seven. And that looks like something used for either agriculture or food preparation or something similar. And in the case of tussinger I have seen his blades draw almost $600 in a 72-hour eBay bid. Known rechipped stuff. And $600. But Mack was considered the father of modern knappers, and that ain't no tussinger lol.
Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet