Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy Saturday y'all-

Found near creekbed outside of Stone Mountain, GA. Very heavily attracted to a magnet and extremely dense. I'm thinking it's magnetite, but I have a tendency to want to believe that slag isn't slag, so I'm putting it out here for this group of experts :)

Unfortunately did not have enough foresight to get good pictures of it before I put it in the rock tumbler for a day, but at least you'll have a frame of reference for what it looked like before. Thanks!

Before tumbler, obviously...

IMG_0278.jpg

And a few views after...

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 26

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try a streak test. Hematite should have a red to red-brown streak while Magnetite should give a black or dark grey streak.
22C0C38A-4884-4172-B2B6-4F6B858B9573_4_5005_c.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try a streak test. Hematite should have a red to red-brown streak while Magnetite should give a black or dark grey streak.
View attachment 1920686

OK. First, I showed the wrong picture of it "before." The correct one is below (color is a bit off...actual color was closer to the one below it. Second, it left a gray streak...but that rock looks nothing like pictures of magnetite that I've seen. Also attached below is another I found nearby that I have NOT put in the tumbler. Similar appearance, and the same grey streak.

Correct rock before tumbling

IMG_1446.jpg

Similar rock found in same area. Heavy, strongly attracted to magnet, leaves a gray streak

IMG_0308.jpg

Upvote 0

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The correct one is below.............it left a gray streak. Below is another I found nearby that I have NOT put in the tumbler. Similar appearance, and the same grey streak.

Correct rock before tumbling

View attachment 1920829

Similar rock found in same area. Heavy, strongly attracted to magnet, leaves a gray streak

View attachment 1920830
Now, IMO the "correct" rock looks like well weathered iron nodule by the bumpy look. Probably in a mix of one or two types of ore more or less ----> Slag

The 2nd rock looks the same ore as the first rock. Did you test that one as well? Also, where did you find these specimens?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They both left the same gray streak. I've read that iron slag tends not to leave a streak. Is that true? If it is, the only other thing it could be is magnetite. I did some more research and *have* found some pictures of magnetite that have a similar exterior to mine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In terms of where I found it - geographically, outside of Atlanta. Both pieces were found on an old plot of land near what used to be roads or driveways --- which of course would lend credence to the "slag" argument

Upvote 0

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They both left the same gray streak. I've read that iron slag tends not to leave a streak. Is that true? If it is, the only other thing it could be is magnetite. I did some more research and *have* found some pictures of magnetite that have a similar exterior to mine.
You're right about slag "Tending" to not leave a streak because the majority of metal slag used and found in the U.S. is steel slag or crucible slag, and almost to about all steel shouldn't leave a streak. Weathered steel shouldn't either. Could've been from the oxides on it before the tumbler. My knowledge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As per the picture I posted on your other thread in the 'Meteorite' forum, this is massive (non-granular) magnetite after a spell in a rock tumbler to remove the weathering and tarnish:

Magnetite.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right about slag "Tending" to not leave a streak because the majority of metal slag used and found in the U.S. is steel slag or crucible slag, and almost to about all steel shouldn't leave a streak. Weathered steel shouldn't either. Could've been from the oxides on it before the tumbler. My knowledge.

The polished one easily left a gray streak as well...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The polished one easily left a gray streak as well...

Yeah, Red Coat, I came over here to mark as solved. I think the fact that it polished up to look almost identical to your rocks, and the fact that it still easily leaves a gray streak points to Magnetite.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread