What's new

Hematite points....

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,943
Reaction score
248
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Fella that let me in a field yesterday showed me a hematite axe that he found in the 80s and it was flaked real nice...I was surprised to see flaking on a hematite pc as I never knew that they flaked it. I'm sure it must be rare to come across a pc like that....so got me wondering if any of you have any flaked hematite pcs/points? thats flaked
 
Upvote 0
your not going to post a picture are you ....:laughing7:
 
I'm missing a small piece...looking everywhere. Probably find it with my bare foot at some point.
 
ouch watch out it was pretty thin stuff
 
I've seen a few hematite points. The material looks slightly different from the hematite celts or cones I've seen. I'm guessing there are different forms of hematite that have crystal structures that are more conducive to flaking.
 
I've seen a few hematite points. The material looks slightly different from the hematite celts or cones I've seen. I'm guessing there are different forms of hematite that have crystal structures that are more conducive to flaking.

yes there many types of hematite i like those gem quality pcs pete was showing above.......
 
Speaking of gems.....this is SOHIO's hadywork.

ForumRunner_20121218_002240.webp mine too ....now
 
lol :laughing7: thats awesome ...i dont remember bifurcating it:laughing7:......looks like it had a rough trip...wow thats quite the artifact you've aquired there :icon_thumright:
 
That stuffs a little dangerous when you go beating around on it thats why i gave up knapping iron ore slag lol
 
geesh now everybodys gonna want one :laughing7:
 
I love it. It has a good home.
 
lol thanks for taking care of it :icon_thumright: hey i got some dogs and roosters need a good home too ???
 
Can Hematite be porous also? Or is it real heavy?
 
its real heavy tn in proportion to its size
 
Ive never seen any thats porous
 
Thanks. I have a crude knife of a weird material from a shelter I will post for an I.d sometime. You guys get all the good material.8-)
 
yeah i like the materials in my area...lots of diversity.
 
I just got some nice colors in the mail today from him.

IMG_20121217_190145-1.webp
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20121218_014313.webp
    ForumRunner_20121218_014313.webp
    48.6 KB · Views: 109

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom