What's new

Wondering what type of point

Acejeckel

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2009
Messages
275
Reaction score
613
Golden Thread
0
Location
Just Outside Detroit
Detector(s) used
White's V3I, DFX, M6, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out metal detecting a fresh cut field yesterday in Southeast Michigan and this field has a spot that’s always wet so the crops don’t grow there and since we are in a drought it’s all dried up so I was down in the spot looking around and found this point.
IMG_8139.webp

I was curious to see what type of point you guys think it might be.

Here it is cleaned up.
IMG_8148.webp

Here’s what through me off the smaller point with the broken tip on the right side I found last year in the same field. They look to be made out of the same type of material also. I was just curious. Thanks for looking. Any info would be appreciated.
IMG_8152.webp
 
Upvote 0
The bigger one looks like a Thebes, not sure about the small. Nice finds 👌
Thank you for the info, the small one was kinda identified in a post on here last year but ToddsPoint.
 
The Thebes point was named after the village of Thebes, IL, which is in far SW IL right on the Miss River. A site was dug there by an arkie named Winters. Unfortunately the write-up on the dig was never published. Neither were pics of the artifacts they dug. These points date to the early archaic around 7400 BC. They were the earliest broad flat skinning knives in the Midwest. They are a common sight in IL artifact collections.
 
The Thebes point was named after the village of Thebes, IL, which is in far SW IL right on the Miss River. A site was dug there by an arkie named Winters. Unfortunately the write-up on the dig was never published. Neither were pics of the artifacts they dug. These points date to the early archaic around 7400 BC. They were the earliest broad flat skinning knives in the Midwest. They are a common sight in IL artifact collections.
Thank you for the information. So just a question for you, I found the 2 points in this post in that field do you think there could be more in that field? I know very little about artifacts, and I just keep my eyes open for this stuff when I’m out detecting. The field in my opinion would be prime land for a camp. It’s on a hill close to waterways and a know travel corridor. Hopefully the field gets plowed in the spring the last 2 years it was turbo tilled. I would love to get out there after a plow and some rain.
 
Thank you for the information. So just a question for you, I found the 2 points in this post in that field do you think there could be more in that field? I know very little about artifacts, and I just keep my eyes open for this stuff when I’m out detecting. The field in my opinion would be prime land for a camp. It’s on a hill close to waterways and a know travel corridor. Hopefully the field gets plowed in the spring the last 2 years it was turbo tilled. I would love to get out there after a plow and some rain.
If you found two there should be more. Your best bet would be hunting in the early spring after it sits all winter. That is if it was chiseled in the fall. That’s how they farm around here. If it’s not chiseled until spring, you need to hunt after a heavy rain before they plant.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom