Heres a very strange dime.........anybody?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a very strange dime.........anybody?

I got this dime today in my pocket change so I guess it qualifies for "today's finds".It's a 1998 p rosie.What makes it strange is the edging on it.It looks like it's 3 seperate pieces almost.Check out the pics and you tell me what you think.I've never saw a coin like it before.

Attachments

• dime view.jpg
    dime view.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 613
  • dime edge view.jpg
    dime edge view.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 608
  • dime edge close-up.jpg
    dime edge close-up.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 609
Upvote 0
Re: Here's a very strange dime.........anybody?

HMMM... I don't know diggum!

That IS a strange dime!

???

dunno, check out split planchet

It does not appear to be delaminating. It really looks like the copper core does not extend to the edge of the coin and was not forced into the collar when minted. I'm not sure how this occurred because the planchets are punched out of a sheet so the copper core would have the same diameter as the clad faces. Interesting.

A reputable and knowledgeable coin dealer may have an idea about what happened here.

Strange, I would get that to a coin store or two to get it checked out :)

Its been in the saltwater, I find them like that all the time.

I have been finding some the same way. Only out of freshwwater not saltwater. Thought it mught have been something localized, but looks to be more widespread.

Must be some mineral doing that and not the salt.

Cfm said:
Its been in the saltwater, I find them like that all the time.

I have found a few in the saltwater like that, they look like rtde's cookie coins before cleaning!

Thanks for the replies guys.I will take it to the coin show that comes around in a week or two.There are plenty of pools around down here,that's probably a good bet.Btw-the copper is still there,I can still see ridges on it even.It's just indented a little the whole way around. Saltwater would've corroded it a little differently I think. H.H.-diggummup

yep.my bad salt is a mineral. I meant some mineral other than salt. We definately have no salt in our swimming hole, however, there are chemicals added to aid in the reduction of algea and it gets shocked once a year with bleach also. So, it may be saltwater on some and swimming hole chemicals on others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back