hey yall. Fort Oglethorpe , Ga. newbie here

Stephen1226

Jul 7, 2014
Ft. Oglethorpe, Ga
Primary Interest:
Other
hey ya'll. Fort Oglethorpe , Ga. newbie here

Mainly rock, gem and mineral collector. Have been to Dahlonega and round about but found a few minuscule gems....and no gold (drat !!). Franklin, NC turned out to be pretty nice although they seed their dirt.

Would like to get a detector and see what I could find here in Ft. Oglethorpe. This was, until 1949 , an actual army base/fort .

while digging gardens on my property, I have found pottery shards marked US cavalry....Most of the land on which current houses stand was not surveyed or excavated before being developed and I am pretty sure I could find some interesting items.

But back to the rock/gem/mineral collecting......what is relatively close to me in collecting areas where I could make a day trip to find specimens ?

Anyone have any ideas ?

Oh yeah, I am not THAT far from Ellijay/Blue Ridge and I have heard that you can stop your car on the side of the road and find garnets, citrine, quartz crystals and other gems in the rocks beside the highway.

metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Georgia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back