🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone have experience running a HF coil in THICK iron that also contains BIG iron yet? If so, does anyone have any settings that help out in that environment? When I say "thick" iron, I mean a nail or a piece of barrel strap every 3 or 4 inches in every direction.... its "machine gun" iron.

I hunt mostly in 18khz with the regular coils and I am used to the higher frequencies making iron sound more non-ferrous, but there are always tricks to determine if its iron. I also like digging iron, so it never bothered me too much. Well I ran my elliptical HF last night for the first time in SUPER thick iron at a house site. When running it in the higher 30+khz and 70+khz ranges, it does pretty well with nails, but makes everything else sound so good.

If I can harness the power of this coil, it is going to be a killer tool for the type of hunting that I do. I was impressed at the air tests and I was impressed at it in the dirt. I think I am going to have to tune it down a little to make it behave in the thick iron the way I want it to. When running at the higher frequencies (30+ or 70+ khz), 90 sens, 3 reac, -1 silen it seems to be super hot.

Thanks guys.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My new HF coil is in the mail and I really hope it performs as well as in the videos and air tests. No doubt it has a great potential. A bit worried reading your description of its performance since the sites with deep iron are the ones I was hoping to try it on. Will be following this thread for sure.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't be worried... That elliptical coil is a beast. I only have about an hour of experience with it. I think I just need to figure out what the best settings are in thick iron and also get some more time under my belt with it.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have six hours on it , I'm impressed with the coil to say the least but will have to use more to get figure out how to run the thing. I ran it today in 14 kh mostly because I was on a site that gave up coins and seven were Spanish silver and thought the 14 would hit it better than 30. I'm just wondering how the higher freq is gonna play into relics. I'm thinking 14 will be the one I use most and 30 second . OMT it might be worth while to try it with custom programs built from 3.2 filters and 4.0 filters just to see what happens.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a ton CB! I should get some more time on it this weekend. I think you're right about 14khz being a primary frequency. For now, I'll run 14 in the thick iron so I can get used to what the coil sounds like. In some cases I think the 30 and 70 will have a great use, but I'm not sure that'll be in the really thick iron. I need to catch up on your latest HF videos... Looking forward to hearing what else you figure out with it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, based on Calabash's tests, it does not seem that silencer appreciably affects depth, so you might want to experiment with some high silencer settings and various combinations of reactivity to see if they break up the big iron signals to make it more obvious it is wraparound on the higher frequencies. I found that my 9" round HF really broke out with some weird sounds on the edge of crown caps and that was with silencer at 0. I did not run it with higher silencer settings, but now that CD has some evidence that the depth impact may be minimal, I might try running silencer higher to see what it does. May not have much effect on big iron though.

Also, some other folks have touched on it here but just barely, but some of the non-motion with disc modes may hold some promise with the HF coils. I don't think people have experimented much with that and it may open up a whole other world with the Deus. I liked gold field a lot as an all metal mode, but once I got used to full tones I hated using the Deus solely as a pitch machine where I had to rely on the Target ID reading. I use it mainly for pinpointing or as a reliable means to outline larger targets.

Just some random thoughts that people might be able to put to use with the HF coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions