Hi, Just getting into CRH...

Ginkawa

Aug 11, 2011
Hi, new here and new to CRH... I'd heard of it before, then with some of the research I've been doing into Precious Metal investing, I came to look into CRH, and I think I'm about hooked.

real new, so far I have gone through 4 rolls of dimes, and I think it would be 28 rolls of pennies, found ~2.90 face value in pre-82's, ~35 82's(haven't weighed those yet, but most of them feel more like the copper ones than the new ones) 3 wheat pennies, 2 canadian pennies, and I think 4 2009 special ones. nothing remotely interesting in the nickels. oh and I picked up 10 bucks worth of loose half dollars at one bank, but there was nothing interesting there either (didn't expect much)

BUT, I've got a few questions.

in the first 4 rolls of pennies I picked up, 2 of them were 100% 2011's. they didn't look especially pretty, really. I mean they were shiny, but they didn't seem super-perfect. (on a side note, I never realized how much difference in feel there was between new ones and old copper ones... a whole handful of the new ones vs a handful of mostly-copper ones... the new ones feel like plastic or something)
and I just opened a roll that seems to be all 2010's, but these seem EXTRA-super-duper shiny and pristine, of course for metal value and such that doesn't change anything, but if I get a roll that has a a super-pristine one on both ends like that, would it be better to sell it unopened for collectors? or would collectors be interested in the individual ones when they are in really good condition like that? or should those just be discounted as pure skunk rolls?

I've also noticed that occasionally there are older coins amongst the pre-82's that seem disproportionately clean/unworn/ect, HOW disproportionately good, when otherwise unremarkable merits different treatment? is there a particular distinctive threshold of wear to look for, or something like that, that distinguishes it as being of numismatic value greater than its bullion value?

if you were going to be on a road trip(not having to drive, and not prone to motion sickness) and wanted to get a box of coins to sort on the road, what do you think would be the MOST likely to yield the most value and interesting coins? (I expect the general consensus to be towards half dollars, but maybe thats wrong?)

would it be possible to get boxes from a federal reserve bank, or trade a bunch of sorted coins for cash or a box or something like that? or is that just not how it works? if I could for example arrange to stop by a federal reserve bank and trade the sorted coins for cash or a different box, or something like that, then the same on the way back, that would be awesome. but since I don't see people talking about using federal reserve banks for dumping their sorted coins, this sort of thing is probably just not something they do.

Anyway, think I might be addicted, gotta work out how to get rid of the sorted ones on a regular basis... went to a bunch of banks today, one said they only used their coin counter for people with an account, got rid of like 9 bucks of pennies and nickels at another, and got "well if its not a LOT... " sort of answers from several other places. not sure if it was a "oh not another one of THESE people" sort of reluctance, or a "what the heck kinda question is that?" sort of thing. only one bank had half dollars, and the bank I actually do business at was only able to give me $10 worth of pennies at once, and said that I'd have to make an order ahead of time to get more at once.

did not see a single public-use coin counter, in fact I don't think I ever have, except for Coinstars.

not sure what all that means for how good of a location I am at for CRHing, but I am definitely liking it so far.

Upvote 0
Mapquest.. Figure out where all the bank are and make a roundtrip or something like that in your local area. Map out which ones have the counters and get an account there (usually have to put in $50 or so). It's that easy. Just don't overdo it. Some places don't mind emptying the machines all the time, some just say they don't mind. Be kind, please rewind - wait, that is for VHS tapes. Be kind, please take care of your tellers.

:)

Shawn

First of all, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!! now i will attempt to answer your questions.

1. i wouldnt save the uncirc rolls, as they are pretty common. some people here have success selling uncirc boxes on ebay, but they generally dont have much value if just loose rolls.

2. i pretty much would just save copper cents from 1959-1982 in one pile (no matter the condition), and wheats in another. so in other words i keep all copper cents together as long as they arent wheats.

3. buy ANY halves the banks have, and sort those in the car, but theres probably not gonna be too many boxes, so i generally pick up some dimes and sort inbetween bank stops.

4. the suppliers only serve coins to businesses. (PS the feds dont roll and deliver the coins anyway, its actually a private rolling facility like brinks, loomis, guarda, and dunbar)

5. and dont use coinstars...they charge something like 8.9% i think.

hope this answers your questions! shoot me a PM if you have anymore! keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back