Hi metal hunting on Long Island ??!!

sergey199307rap

Jan 24, 2013
Hi every body jast bought my new metal detector and I don't k where to go. I wanna try to find gold and silver coins or treasure but I don't k right park or field. Or nice beach ;) lol
If same one can sachets place or tell story what and where found gold.....( treasure )) lol. Will be so happy to read and discuss!!!!)))

Thanks everyone ;)

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Sergey - welcome to tnet! I am in Nevada. If you ever get out this way, I can show you some places to hunt. Local MDing clubs will help you get started.
Good Hunting!

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sergey... welcome to the forum! :icon_thumleft:

There are many places you can search for coins and jewelry. Such places include the usual favorites... ball fields, picnic groves, town parks, older school yards, and of course beaches. If you're fairly new to your area, why don't you get some maps of the area and try to identify some likely places to search. Consider the above suggestion about joining a nearby metal detecting club so that you get familiar with known detecting sites and make some new friends in the hobby.

Do you mind my asking which metal detector model you own?

Jim.

OP
OP
sergey199307rap

sergey199307rap

Jan 24, 2013
Jim Hemmingway said:
Sergey... welcome to the forum! :icon_thumleft:

There are many places you can search for coins and jewelry. Such places include the usual favorites... ball fields, picnic groves, town parks, older school yards, and of course beaches. If you're fairly new to your area, why don't you get some maps of the area and try to identify some likely places to search. Consider the above suggestion about joining a nearby metal detecting club so that you get familiar with known detecting sites and make some new friends in the hobby.

Do you mind my asking which metal detector model you own?

Jim.

I'm using whites coinmaster ;) duk a it ?

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Sergey… your White’s Coinmaster is a good quality entry-level metal detector to gain experience at coin and jewelry hunting. You sound new to the hobby, so below are a few ideas and suggestions.

I suggest you bury a coin at four or five inches depth. Try adjusting your coil sweep speed to determine what sweep speed gives you the best signal, and then use that sweep speed when hunting. Don’t be concerned if your target ID is inaccurate over this freshly buried coin… that is the norm for many detectors over freshly buried targets. Coins that have naturally settled in the ground will signal at better depths, and target ID will be much more accurate. However…the accuracy of target ID over targets approaching the detection depth limit of your detector… even in moderately mineralized soils… will lose accuracy. Don’t overlook deep signals that are less than ideal.

Practice pinpointing over that target coin until you are confident you can isolate (pinpoint) targets effectively. This will help you to avoid making a mess when digging targets in public areas… the sort of sites mentioned in the above post. Use a cloth spread out adjacent to your hole and place all loose soil on it. When you have found your target, empty the soil on the cloth back into the hole, fold the turf back in place, tamp it down and run your glove over it to raise the grass. The idea Sergey is that when you are finished retrieving your target and have refilled the hole, there should be little or no evidence that you were there. When you can afford to do so, acquire a pinpointer to help locate targets in your holes. This will keep hole size to a minimum.

Always overlap your coil sweeps by at least half the coil’s diameter, keep the coil level and close to the turf… not more than an inch if possible.

Be selective about where and how you hunt. For example if you’re after older silver coins, go to older parks, older schoolyards, or old picnic groves etc to improve the odds of finding such coins. Sports fields and especially beaches are more likely to consistently produce jewelry finds, but you will have to dig all foil, pulltab, and higher conductive targets to ensure you don’t overlook gold and silver jewelry. Most gold jewelry will fall into a range between foil and pulltab, although large gold rings will sometimes fall into a higher conductive category. Valuable diamond rings and other ladies rings usually fall into the foil and sometimes the nickel range. Dig all such signals.

The basic Coinmaster does not provide tone ID. Evaluate target signals according to whether the signal is reasonably smooth or broken. Broken signals normally indicate a junk target, As noted above, deep targets that appear to be “coin size” should be investigated even if the signal is not ideal…or even if the target reads as iron. Use the unit’s depth gauge as a decisive factor as to whether you should dig such targets.

Use as little discrimination as possible to achieve best depth, especially when searching for jewelry. For many units on the market, increasing discrimination normally results in some depth loss. Use some judgement with this decision. For example in high trash density areas, you may wish to use some discrimination, just enough to eliminate recurring, pesky, unwanted items. As soon as you can, acquire some quality headphones to better hear and evaluate target signals.

Any trash found when digging should be kept in your goody pouch along with your run-of-the-mill finds. Keep the more desirable finds… tokens, more valuable silver or copper coins, jewelry and so forth… stored in a separate compartment. When people wander over to see what you’ve found, always show them your trash and clad coins. Never show them your valuable finds, especially do not show them jewelry. To do so is an invitation for dishonest people to attempt to claim it.

With reference to your other thread about gold hunting Sergey, the Coinmaster is not a suitable unit for that purpose. I suggest you read some of the posts on this gold forum to learn what experienced electronic prospectors recommend, and carefully read about these units on manufacturer’s websites. Don’t rely on your memory… makes notes about features offered by different models for later comparison. If you have questions at that time, post them here. :)

Jim.

OP
OP
sergey199307rap

sergey199307rap

Jan 24, 2013
Jim Hemmingway said:
Hi Sergey… your White’s Coinmaster is a good quality entry-level metal detector to gain experience at coin and jewelry hunting. You sound new to the hobby, so below are a few ideas and suggestions.

I suggest you bury a coin at four or five inches depth. Try adjusting your coil sweep speed to determine what sweep speed gives you the best signal, and then use that sweep speed when hunting. Don’t be concerned if your target ID is inaccurate over this freshly buried coin… that is the norm for many detectors over freshly buried targets. Coins that have naturally settled in the ground will signal at better depths, and target ID will be much more accurate. However…the accuracy of target ID over targets approaching the detection depth limit of your detector… even in moderately mineralized soils… will lose accuracy. Don’t overlook deep signals that are less than ideal.

Practice pinpointing over that target coin until you are confident you can isolate (pinpoint) targets effectively. This will help you to avoid making a mess when digging targets in public areas… the sort of sites mentioned in the above post. Use a cloth spread out adjacent to your hole and place all loose soil on it. When you have found your target, empty the soil on the cloth back into the hole, fold the turf back in place, tamp it down and run your glove over it to raise the grass. The idea Sergey is that when you are finished retrieving your target and have refilled the hole, there should be little or no evidence that you were there. When you can afford to do so, acquire a pinpointer to help locate targets in your holes. This will keep hole size to a minimum.

Always overlap your coil sweeps by at least half the coil’s diameter, keep the coil level and close to the turf… not more than an inch if possible.

Be selective about where and how you hunt. For example if you’re after older silver coins, go to older parks, older schoolyards, or old picnic groves etc to improve the odds of finding such coins. Sports fields and especially beaches are more likely to consistently produce jewelry finds, but you will have to dig all foil, pulltab, and higher conductive targets to ensure you don’t overlook gold and silver jewelry. Most gold jewelry will fall into a range between foil and pulltab, although large gold rings will sometimes fall into a higher conductive category. Valuable diamond rings and other ladies rings usually fall into the foil and sometimes the nickel range. Dig all such signals.

The basic Coinmaster does not provide tone ID. Evaluate target signals according to whether the signal is reasonably smooth or broken. Broken signals normally indicate a junk target, As noted above, deep targets that appear to be “coin size” should be investigated even if the signal is not ideal…or even if the target reads as iron. Use the unit’s depth gauge as a decisive factor as to whether you should dig such targets.

Use as little discrimination as possible to achieve best depth, especially when searching for jewelry. For many units on the market, increasing discrimination normally results in some depth loss. Use some judgement with this decision. For example in high trash density areas, you may wish to use some discrimination, just enough to eliminate recurring, pesky, unwanted items. As soon as you can, acquire some quality headphones to better hear and evaluate target signals.

Any trash found when digging should be kept in your goody pouch along with your run-of-the-mill finds. Keep the more desirable finds… tokens, more valuable silver or copper coins, jewelry and so forth… stored in a separate compartment. When people wander over to see what you’ve found, always show them your trash and clad coins. Never show them your valuable finds, especially do not show them jewelry. To do so is an invitation for dishonest people to attempt to claim it.

With reference to your other thread about gold hunting Sergey, the Coinmaster is not a suitable unit for that purpose. I suggest you read some of the posts on this gold forum to learn what experienced electronic prospectors recommend, and carefully read about these units on manufacturer’s websites. Don’t rely on your memory… makes notes about features offered by different models for later comparison. If you have questions at that time, post them here. :)

Jim.

Thank u . U give me good information ;)

cambell

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, im on long island aswell. I just got my metal detector last week and have already found gold in my own backyard. I would say the first place to check is your yard and the yards of family and friends. It will give you practice at recovery without leaving marks in the grass. If you can master that than people are more likely to let you detect on their property. If you go around hacking up the grass at every park and school they will quickly ban metal detecting there. My first holes were a mess but now i almost have it down to where you cant even tell. I need to start using a towel to put my dirt and plugs on that seems to be my final mistake i need to fix. My advice to you to find good spots is to follow the money trail and talk to elders in your family. Find out where the rich people use to have picknicks and go swimming. Start off close to home and work your way out. If doing a house make sure to focus on the grass next to the driveway, walkway, sidewalk, and near any entrances to the house. That is where i have found most of my clad so far. If you know anyone with a dirt driveway that will probably be a goldmine of coins. Most important thing is respect the hobby and dont ruin it for yourself later on. Cover up all holes on the beach and practice getting your plugs back in the ground without leaving a trace of digging. Also if you dont have one yet, get a pin pointer. Now that I've been using one I cant imagine detecting without it. I leave less mess and recover items in a third of the time. Good luck and maybe sometime we could meet up and go hunting together.

laurenB

Aug 24, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
V3i, Garrett Pinpointer Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Sergey and Jim ... I'm am on Long Island too and would love to get together and hunt :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread