High pitched signal in only one direction?

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What did you dig? With multiple questionable targets giving the same response the only way to find out for certain would be to dig it and see. Could be junk, could be a silver coin standing on edge.

If I had to guess I would say one of two things.
- good target with junk to the one side. So it registers one way but gets masked from the other.
- trash sitting in a way that the detector thinks it is a good target but from a different angle (sweeping back) does not see it as a good target.

When in doubt dig it and learn what it tells you

Try turning 90 degrees and seeing what it shows up as also. That can help give you an idea

If you're new to any machine you have to dig all targets to learn what your machine is trying to tell you. Sometimes you will find nothing, and you will learn about "falsing", but you gotta dig as Gary says. Also be sure you're not tipping your coil at the end of your sweeps, this will sometimes cause a false signal. Fireguy is also right on about always turning and sweeping at a ninety degree angle to any signal for confirmation about "repeatability". Most good signals are repeatable from more than one angle, but while learning just dig to learn.

Yes you will learn more by digging those targets than asking about them here.. If you dig those signals then you will know what they are…

What hand did you have your digging tool in?

dig first 100 targets to get to know your machine

liftloop

A couple of more things to check:
Did you ground balance properly?
Is your swing a constant speed and is the coil kept parallel with the ground?
Are you wearing steel toe shoes? - Don't laugh I took me two times out back in '82 to figure this one out. I've never forgot it either.
Much everything else has been covered.

You need a pimpoimter

I have a garrett Ace 350. So far I am not impressed with it. Will try it out in a area where I know coins are for sure. In the mean time I am eyeing my whites.
Love the tone discrimination feature.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back