May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hunt started yesterday in my head & it gave me butterflies thinking about it, I just knew I was going to have a good day & when they gave out the weather report which was perfect, the game was on.
7 days ago I commented on my 'Day 6' post that this field should produce a Celtic Gold, as we had had 4 bronze & 1 silver. In fact Cru'dad got real lucky & actually predicted it before our hunt, in our usual game of 'guess the result/closest wins'. Even though I had a good feeling I wasn't going to roll the dice on today being it! (should have done though!)
The Gold fell to me (my 3rd this year!) & was just before the 1st hour. It was not far off where Land-Mag had being loosely gridding whilst we were where in scout mode. Near the big dip on the high ground near the corner.:thumbsup:
5 Hours:

19 Roman Bronze Coins
Jetton
Roman Fibula
Roman Pin
17th C Spur Buckle
Tudor Book Clasp
Henry III Hammered Cut Halfpenny
Charles I Halfgroat made into a Love Token (rare to get a hammered version!)
VERY RARE - Celtic Gold Quarter Stater of Tasciovanus 25-20 BC:headbang:

The sticky mud made it feel like 8 hours! (well worth the effort though):metaldetector:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 150
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 920
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 920
Last edited:
Upvote 67
Are you aware that your non- banner finds are considered banners to most of the rest of us? Well done, and thanks for sharing the amazing history you recover! Banner vote, of course!

What can I say...absolutely amazing results. Hard work and perseverance pays off. Congratulations :occasion14:

is not far off where Land-Mag had being loosely gridding whilst we were where in scout mode. Near the big dip on the high ground near the corner.
thumbsup.gif

Thank for that !!!!!!!!!!!!:BangHead:

I thought you would like that.:laughing7: I was going to tell you it was in one of your footprints but I thought that was going a little far, so stuck to the truth instead.:thumbsup: To be fair I thought you were way off-base trying that area whilst I was scouting over the main area.(So your instinct was OK, one reason why I didn't push too hard to move you) The scrappies were found right up to that Eastern edge. We are back on the Western edge gridding off of the slope & wondering how far that side it will go? (Leaving the whole of the Northern half of the field)

Wow, what a field. This has been an amazing read to see your posts about this very special site. Congrats on all your hard work. I agree, you get to the point where it's tough to improve. But there are always ways...the better you get, the smaller the refinements need to be.

Cheers,

Buck

i always wonder how so many random gold coins show up in fields anyhow...when i was a kid if i lost a nickel, I would have stayed up all night and all the next day looking for it...let alone a gold coin!

i always wonder how so many random gold coins show up in fields anyhow...when i was a kid if i lost a nickel, I would have stayed up all night and all the next day looking for it...let alone a gold coin!
In 25BC they had no monetary system to speak of. That happened in the Roman period when they taxed everything. 90% of the people never held a gold coin. They were used at the highest political levels, paid mercenaries or it's possible that a druid buried this one as an offering to the under-world.(gain favour for a good yielding crop etc..)

THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS.

It's been another great year & this helped top it off.

I wonder this one isn't on top yet. Just because some guys make it look easy it's still a very rare find in wonderful condition.

I wonder this one isn't on top yet. Just because some guys make it look easy it's still a very rare find in wonderful condition.
It's an unpredictable art, but maybe 2 Gold Coins next to each other doesn't look good?

Late to the game on this one...I always hold in awe all of your finds, even when no gold pops out. Blows my mind that that piece has been laying there, all those centuries...along comes the Cru Crew (ha) and brings it to light of day. Congrats. And may the next year bring ever more great relics to your pouch. Ddf.

Late to the game on this one...I always hold in awe all of your finds, even when no gold pops out. Blows my mind that that piece has been laying there, all those centuries...along comes the Cru Crew (ha) and brings it to light of day. Congrats. And may the next year bring ever more great relics to your pouch. Ddf.
We had the perfect storm of natural events which was bad for the farmers but good for us. I'm not sure how next years results will be, unless we find new sites & nature works with us again!

Why don't you just start your OWN Banner?
Beautiful.
I could only dream.

Congrats on that beauty. Itโ€™s hard for the human mind to comprehend the age of that coin. Weโ€™re talking hundreds of generations

Congrats on that beauty. Itโ€™s hard for the human mind to comprehend the age of that coin. Weโ€™re talking hundreds of generations
Yeap, crazy right!

Phenomenal digging!!

Happy memory from last year, I would be happy with just 1 of these this year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back