Hillbillies like it rough

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I caught an episode of the show "Hillbilly Blood", I don't normally watch this show, but they were going to be doing some DIY dredging. For those who haven't seen the show, it features two NC backwoods types who live the hardscrabble life. Neither seem to have a regular job, so they barter, work, or trade for what they need, usually going about things the hard way. A friend of theirs shows them a gold nugget that must have been a two ouncer and tells them that he knows the location of some mythical gold stream called "Lost Creek". The boys are skeptical, but the nugget compels them. They set about acquiring the materials needed for a DIY dredge, then set out for the stream. On arrival they construct a crude frame from saplings, attaching four small inner tubes to the corners for flotation. To this flimsy contraption they mount a small pump that looks like it would struggle to empty a kiddie pool, with a garden hose on the suction side, and a length of poop tube on the outlet. They cut off the upper side of the tube, then hoist the thing into the freezing creek. It appeared to be either late Fall or Winter since there were no leaves on the trees, and they wore heavy coats. No wetsuit, not even insulated waders. They got the pump working, then proceeded to attempt to suction material from the base of a large rock outcrop with the garden hose. I nearly shat myself laughing as they alternately cursed the cold water and tried valiantly to get something to flow through that tiny hose, I can only imagine the damage they did to the pump sucking sand into it like that, I'm guessing that neither of them had bothered to look up dredge plans. They couldn't work long because of the cold, but somehow they managed to suck an amazing 10 grams of dust. Yeah...right. :laughing7:

Notice they didn't let you get a good look at that painted rock I mean nugget. I caught the trailer so I had to watch. I quit watching before they ever got the pump to run. If they got any gold it had to be seeded by the producer.

Notice they didn't let you get a good look at that painted rock I mean nugget. I caught the trailer so I had to watch. I quit watching before they ever got the pump to run. If they got any gold it had to be seeded by the producer.
In 35-40 degree water with no wetsuits, and considering that their pump probably didn't last more than a few minutes before the debris destroyed its impeller, if they got more than a couple of small flakes I would have been amazed. But ten grams? Puhleeze...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back