Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all;
I found this first pc. quite awhile ago. but since it had no details top or bottom, it was just purely a puzzle, please take a look at it first:

2nd Hinged Item 03.jpg 2nd Hinged Item 01.jpg 2nd Hinged Item 02.jpg

Then, I found this similar piece today. It has an obvious top, a lid, with a nice decoration on it. Both are hinged, and the hinge is delicate.
This second one, same as the first, also has a pin inside to restrict the amount it closes. But this second one shows a slide clip on the back, very much like something you would slide on your belt to hold a holster or whatever, but as you can tell by the pics it is only a little over an inch long.
The first find is just a tiny bit larger. The hinges and construction seem too light to be anything suspender related, that was my first guess.

1st Hinged Item 02.jpg 1st Hinged Item 01.jpg 1st Hinged Item 03.jpg 1st Hinged Item 04.jpg

Has anyone seen anything like this? It's hard to do research if you don't know what to call something to look it up! lol
As always; any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!
Chris

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a clothing clasp. They have been posted a few times on here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a clothing clasp. They have been posted a few times on here.

Thanks Mud Hut. Because of your answer, I searched Tnets archives and found this link:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/114097-fancy-shoe-clip-3.html

BuckleBoy with the help of other's, found a patent with pics that describe this very thing as some type of clothes clip. It seems to have been designed to attach to one set of clothing, then is used to attach another piece of clothing to it. I assume like a shawl to a blouse or scarf to a collar or some such thing.
If you look at the link I found from 2009, you can see just how hard everyone worked to solve the mystery.
I must say all the folks on this forum are amazing at helping each other find the truth of historical items. It was impressive.. and there are a lot of examples of other's findings of similar artifacts, I really enjoyed seeing them too.
It's periodically frustrating to find an artifact and not be able to find out what it is.
My thanks for this help today, and to all the guys from seven years ago, that had my answer before I even knew to ask it. Lol

Upvote 0

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow I thought the same as Tony. That's a neat Clasp.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread