What's new

Historic House gives it up

bergie

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
1,827
Reaction score
1,280
Golden Thread
0
These were also found by Earthworks and me at the historic site where Earthworks found that 1838 large cent he posted. There is a skeleton key, a musket ball, a button that looks like a musket ball (but light/hollow; does anyone know about these?), and a couple of buckles.
 

Attachments

  • oldfinds002.webp
    oldfinds002.webp
    5.6 KB · Views: 558
Upvote 0
Cool finds and that spot looks really great to hunt . Why does that one ball have the tiny eyelet on it ? Is it for a pendant?
 
it's some kind of button
 
"...a musket ball, a button that looks like a musket ball (but light/hollow; does anyone know about these?),..." Sometimes I miss it in the post too. I just happened to get that one. As my brother would have said "Even a blind hog finds corn now and then!"

HH,
Ramapirate
 
Very nice old finds. I like this kind of stuff! Don't know anything about the button that isn't a musketball. Perhaps it is a fob????

One question: has anyone ever found the skeletons that go with the keys? ;D
 
Great finds there. I really like the buttons. That round one sort of looks like something that would have been on a civilian coat. Keep us posted if you find out.
 
The ball button is sometimes refered as a Zouave button as they were the same type button used on the flamboyant uniforms of the Zouave soldiers of the Civil War. Also this type of button was frequently used on Cadet uniforms from military schools prior to and just after the war. They seem to turn up in CW sites fairly often and come in several different sizes. I would think the bigger one like yours was on a coat.

D.
 
Cool stuff. My mom's house built in 1853 had a door with a key like that. That is about all I can tell you.

Bob
 
Well my goodness, that is the FIRST TIME I have even heard of such a button, much less seen one. See how much we Westerners miss out on? Almost makes me wanna pull up roots and move East.....NAH!!!! Me likey here.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom