What's new

Historical Silver Bullet?

techoverload

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
26
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charleston, sc
Well I know its at least 100 years old. Had been covered by Lake Moultrie for 100 years. Found it about 2 years ago when the lake was at a record 10 feet low. MILES of land unseen for a hundred years were uncovered.

What I know about it:
It weights 20 grams, lead bullet next to it weights 30g.
Not magnetic.
I think its silver.
It was found next to the Turpentine Kilns found in lake moultrie.
Was covered by chunks of the broken kiln.
Umm... well thats about it.

I'm just hoping someone here might know what it is. No one at museums seam to know.

Hope the pics help. I have full size pics if you want a closer look.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1830.webp
    IMG_1830.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_1832.webp
    IMG_1832.webp
    20 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_1833.webp
    IMG_1833.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_1838.webp
    IMG_1838.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1836.webp
    IMG_1836.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_1848.webp
    IMG_1848.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_1851.webp
    IMG_1851.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_1846.webp
    IMG_1846.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_1852.webp
    IMG_1852.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 484
techoverload said:
Charlie P. (NY) said:
My guess would be a rudder pintle - in stainless steel that has pitted from being in the silt. It's the right shape, size and location (bottom of a lake). Pintles fit into gudgeons and are how rudders are hinged and attached to boats. That one was possibly fitted into a wooden socket or broke lose from a metal attachment.

sailing-dinghy-rudder-pintle-50471.jpg

Does look like it BUT its softer than stainless and stainless is magnetic, this isnt, it has no attraction to a magnet at all.

Its not copper at all. I'm pretty good with my metals. not to mention I drilled into it and its solid. Plus something stainless this size would weigh more. This thing is really light for its size. It weighs a third less than the lead bullet and its 3 times its size.

I'm about 99.9% sure its silver but what was a chunk of silver like this used for possible a hundred years ago.
Silver isnt very corrosive either and for this to have the corrosion marks it does its been there quite awhile.

I'm pretty sure its not a bullet.

Doesn't look like solid silver & doesn't sound like it either. A piece of solid silver that size would have no green patination showing though the metal, & would be far heavier than you describe.

Solid silver oxides & doesn't corrode unless close to or mixed with other metals/ or in heavy salty water next to other items. This is more a reaction than corrosion. I find solid silver coins 2000 years old & it comes out like the day it was made or varying colours of black (oxidization).
 
Upvote 0
Maybe it is from the Turpentine operation. Find a really old old-timer to look at it.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
techoverload said:
Charlie P. (NY) said:
My guess would be a rudder pintle - in stainless steel that has pitted from being in the silt. It's the right shape, size and location (bottom of a lake). Pintles fit into gudgeons and are how rudders are hinged and attached to boats. That one was possibly fitted into a wooden socket or broke lose from a metal attachment.

sailing-dinghy-rudder-pintle-50471.jpg

Does look like it BUT its softer than stainless and stainless is magnetic, this isnt, it has no attraction to a magnet at all.

Its not copper at all. I'm pretty good with my metals. not to mention I drilled into it and its solid. Plus something stainless this size would weigh more. This thing is really light for its size. It weighs a third less than the lead bullet and its 3 times its size.

I'm about 99.9% sure its silver but what was a chunk of silver like this used for possible a hundred years ago.
Silver isnt very corrosive either and for this to have the corrosion marks it does its been there quite awhile.

I'm pretty sure its not a bullet.

Is that a saltwater or freshwater lake? If it is freshwater, then there shouldn't have been ANY corrosion on that piece if it is silver. If salt, then the piece would've been encrusted in 100 years.

I think that it is made of aluminum since it is so light.


Best Wishes,



Buckles

Stainless steel will corrode if it is in an anerobic spot - cut off from oxygen - like the mud on the bottom of a lake. It will also "depassify" in certain conditions and lose its stainlessness - like after being wiped with Clorox. It will also corrode if in the presence of a more noble metal (like lead, copper, nickel, bronze if it is "active" type 18/8 or 304 stainless) while in water through electrolysis and galvanic corrosion. There are also dozens of alloys called "stainless steel", some much more so than others.

I have been sailing in fresh water for 30 plus years and I promise you stainless steel will corrode (and is not magnetic).
 
Upvote 0
Well what ever it is I'm chalking it up as a piece of a boat. End of subject.
Thanks for everyone imput. Hope I find something better soon we can discuss.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom