What's new

Historical Silver Bullet?

techoverload

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
26
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charleston, sc
Well I know its at least 100 years old. Had been covered by Lake Moultrie for 100 years. Found it about 2 years ago when the lake was at a record 10 feet low. MILES of land unseen for a hundred years were uncovered.

What I know about it:
It weights 20 grams, lead bullet next to it weights 30g.
Not magnetic.
I think its silver.
It was found next to the Turpentine Kilns found in lake moultrie.
Was covered by chunks of the broken kiln.
Umm... well thats about it.

I'm just hoping someone here might know what it is. No one at museums seam to know.

Hope the pics help. I have full size pics if you want a closer look.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1830.webp
    IMG_1830.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_1852.webp
    IMG_1852.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_1846.webp
    IMG_1846.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_1851.webp
    IMG_1851.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_1848.webp
    IMG_1848.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_1836.webp
    IMG_1836.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_1838.webp
    IMG_1838.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1833.webp
    IMG_1833.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_1832.webp
    IMG_1832.webp
    20 KB · Views: 523
I dont know what it is but do you have a micrometer to measure the exact (caliber) diameter to see if its a common bullet size?
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know what it is but do you have a micrometer to measure the exact (caliber) diameter to see if its a common bullet size?

I wish I did. Its only a hair small in diameter than the lead bullet. I'd say the lead on has about a 1/32 inch edge over the 'silver' one.
 
Upvote 0
I'm not an expert but it looks too long to be a bullet, it would tumble in flight.
Looks like a plated copper whatsit to me.
 
Upvote 0
I think you have a whatisit and not a bullet. I haven't ever seen one that long.
 
Upvote 0
Yea its not like a bullet I've ever seen.

I drilled into it about an inch from the top and it is solid. Its silver. But why would someone cast a chunk of silver like this? The lines on the side look like it was made in a 2 piece mold maybe.
 
Upvote 0
techoverload said:
Yea its not like a bullet I've ever seen.

I drilled into it about an inch from the top and it is solid. Its silver. But why would someone cast a chunk of silver like this? The lines on the side look like it was made in a 2 piece mold maybe.

Werewolves, and the occasional vampire! ;D
 
Upvote 0
My guess would be a rudder pintle - in stainless steel that has pitted from being in the silt. It's the right shape, size and location (bottom of a lake). Pintles fit into gudgeons and are how rudders are hinged and attached to boats. That one was possibly fitted into a wooden socket or broke lose from a metal attachment.

sailing-dinghy-rudder-pintle-50471.jpg
 
Upvote 0
I've got a notion that it's some kind of electrode. It appears to be a copper tube filled with another metal and plated. You don't need solid copper for some applications, because the current flows only near the surface. There also appears that there was something in the center, which might fit with this idea.
 
Upvote 0
What makes you think it's a bullet? It is too long to be a bullet. Take it to a jewelry store and they can tell you if it is silver or not. Looks like a part of a boat.
 
Upvote 0
Charlie P. (NY) said:
My guess would be a rudder pintle - in stainless steel that has pitted from being in the silt. It's the right shape, size and location (bottom of a lake). Pintles fit into gudgeons and are how rudders are hinged and attached to boats. That one was possibly fitted into a wooden socket or broke lose from a metal attachment.

sailing-dinghy-rudder-pintle-50471.jpg

Does look like it BUT its softer than stainless and stainless is magnetic, this isnt, it has no attraction to a magnet at all.

Its not copper at all. I'm pretty good with my metals. not to mention I drilled into it and its solid. Plus something stainless this size would weigh more. This thing is really light for its size. It weighs a third less than the lead bullet and its 3 times its size.

I'm about 99.9% sure its silver but what was a chunk of silver like this used for possible a hundred years ago.
Silver isnt very corrosive either and for this to have the corrosion marks it does its been there quite awhile.

I'm pretty sure its not a bullet.
 
Upvote 0
I have to agree that this is not a bullet but a part of a boat, but there ARE bullets that long that were hexagon shaped one of which almost killed Lincoln in an early assination attempt. I just watched a show on TV about it where a guy mad a 1000 yard shot with a muzzleloader using the long hexagon shaped bullet.


HH
Slipperyjack47
 
Upvote 0
Stainless is not always magnetic, depends on the exact composition. I like the boat part idea, makes sense.
 
Upvote 0
It ain't no durn bullet atall. Of that I'm sure. :wink: Monty
 
Upvote 0
The spot mark at the bottom of piece. Does it look like something was attached?
 
Upvote 0
techoverload said:
Charlie P. (NY) said:
My guess would be a rudder pintle - in stainless steel that has pitted from being in the silt. It's the right shape, size and location (bottom of a lake). Pintles fit into gudgeons and are how rudders are hinged and attached to boats. That one was possibly fitted into a wooden socket or broke lose from a metal attachment.

sailing-dinghy-rudder-pintle-50471.jpg

Does look like it BUT its softer than stainless and stainless is magnetic, this isnt, it has no attraction to a magnet at all.

Its not copper at all. I'm pretty good with my metals. not to mention I drilled into it and its solid. Plus something stainless this size would weigh more. This thing is really light for its size. It weighs a third less than the lead bullet and its 3 times its size.

I'm about 99.9% sure its silver but what was a chunk of silver like this used for possible a hundred years ago.
Silver isnt very corrosive either and for this to have the corrosion marks it does its been there quite awhile.

I'm pretty sure its not a bullet.

Is that a saltwater or freshwater lake? If it is freshwater, then there shouldn't have been ANY corrosion on that piece if it is silver. If salt, then the piece would've been encrusted in 100 years.

I think that it is made of aluminum since it is so light.


Best Wishes,



Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Slipperyjack47 said:
I have to agree that this is not a bullet but a part of a boat, but there ARE bullets that long that were hexagon shaped one of which almost killed Lincoln in an early assination attempt. I just watched a show on TV about it where a guy mad a 1000 yard shot with a muzzleloader using the long hexagon shaped bullet.


HH
Slipperyjack47

You're thinking of a Whitworth rifle. Although long for caliber, the Whitworth bullet isn't nearly as long as the object here.
 

Attachments

  • whitworth.webp
    whitworth.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 403
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom