Historically significant Copperheads movement altered Braided Hair large Cent

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I have to say that today will be a day that the twins and I will never forget. Not only did Kyle find the best coin of the year and quite possibly ever, but I found something that you just don't see every day. It was a low VDI number to begin with. pulled it out of the hole and thought....Cool .. some kind of pendant or something. I saw a defining symbol on it. It's an O. Looked like an O on the back of a large cent.From the word ONE. I scratched my head and did not see what should have been obvious. Kyle asked to hold it. I told him that I think it's a copper broken up. He smiled and said. No, look at it. It's the head of a Braided Hair Large cent that was somehow cut out exactly. We started laughing and high fiving in the field. What an unusual but cool find.I can just see in my head the fellow cutting up this coin to impress someone with it. I will always cherish it. I will post pics of it next to a whole one I found earlier in the season. I found a couple of pewter spoon parts, 2 dropped musket balls and a large colonial copper button fragment. I was swinging next to the road when a couple of guys road by on racing bicycles and I heard them conversing loudly back and forth. The one guy was obviously answering the others statement with this sentiment and I quote" No, these fields have been farmed for way over 50 years...They know what they're doing" end quote. I can imagine what the first guy said and it probably went something like this " Look at those idiots metal detecting in that miserable farm field...They wont find squat out there" Little did they know what Kyle already found and had in his pocket. Love this hobby.**Updated and Identified below**
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copperheads_(politics)Copperheads" redirects here. For other uses, see Copperhead (disambiguation).
The Copperheads were a vocal group of Democrats in the Northern United States (see also Union (American Civil War)) who opposed the American Civil War, wanting an immediate peace settlement with the Confederates. Republicans started calling anti-war Democrats "Copperheads", likening them to the poisonous snake. The Peace Democrats accepted the label, but for them the copper "head" was the likeness of Liberty, which they cut from copper pennies and proudly wore as badges. [1]

They comprised the more extreme wing of the "Peace Democrats" were often informally called "Butternuts" (for the color of the Confederate uniforms). The most famous Copperhead was Ohio's Clement L. Vallandigham, a Congressman and leader of the Democratic Party. Republican prosecutors accused some leaders of treason in a series of trials in 1864.[2]

Copperheadism was a highly contentious grassroots movement, strongest in the area just north of the Ohio River, as well as some urban ethnic wards. Historians have argued that it represent a traditionalistic element alarmed at the rapid modernization of society sponsored by the Republican Party, and looked back to Jacksonian Democracy for inspiration. Weber (2006) argues that the Copperheads damaged the Union war effort by fighting the draft, encouraging desertion, and forming conspiracies, but other historians say the draft was in disrepute and the conspiracies were greatly exaggerated by the Republicans for partisan reasons. Historians agree that the Copperheads' goal of negotiating a peace and restoring the Union with slavery was naive and impractical, for the Confederates refused to consider giving up their independence. Copperheadism was a major issue in the 1864 presidential election; its strength waxed when Union armies were doing poorly, and waned when they won great victories. After the fall of Atlanta in September 1864 military success seemed assured, and Copperheadism collapsed.

Chris

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,653
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,603
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,825
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,598
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,592
Upvote 0

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... now that would definitely deserve to be on the banner!

What an awesome find! :icon_thumright:

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:headbang:
Congrats Chris on your Copperhead find! I love the political relics and have never seen one like yours! I wish you guys continued success on that site!
Keith

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW...are you going to clean it up? That one would definitely benefit from a little attention!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh my word!

I believe , You my friend have a "Copperhead" pin from the tough Copperhead organization!

If you may remember, I dug a "IH" cut from a penny in the 1800's. There was great debate as to the coin was or was not a Copperhaed insignia. As I studied and read, I discovered mine was just a kids project out of the boys popular mechanics book. It still managed to get published in an issue of American Digger magazine as a nifty find. It was in an article showing the other Copperhead pin finds. And there Aint been many!. Yours is the real deal! The Organization cut theirs from the very cent yours originated from. It's a huge BANNER find. Congratulations!!! :hello2:

Notice the back where the pin was attached.

Not many messed with the Copperheads. They were tough and a force to be reconed with.

It is a VERY valuable and Historic find.

You'll make banner with this one~!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty neat find! i don't know if you can count that as a copper though :icon_scratch: what are your copper totals this year?

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Historically significant Copperheads movement altered Braided Hair large Cen

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
pretty neat find! i don't know if you can count that as a copper though :icon_scratch: what are your copper totals this year?

It definitely counts as a copper. We are at 48 for the group and 3 Spanish silvers.

Kirk

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, you did it this time. You found an actual Copperhead political token. Good for you, and thanks for the update about the find. A nice find and a rare find. Something that we can all hope to find someday. wtg..... :headbang: :hello2:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a GREAT piece of history! And a find that one couldn't hope to ever repeat. BRAVO! :headbang:

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup: That find was so cool and thank's for sharing.... :headbang:

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Thanks to everyone who responded so kindly to this thread. It's a very special find for me and ranks as one of my most favorite and significant recoveries.
Chris

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Historically significant Copperheads movement altered Braided Hair large Cen

Kirk PA said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:

It definitely counts as a copper. We are at 48 for the group and 3 Spanish silvers.

Kirk
i was just kiddin kirk. i got some slack for a copper i dug that was clipped in our copper race :laughing7: so technically you have 47 & 1/4 coppers as a group :tongue3:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris, I think your Copperhead pin goes into the "Special Relic" category and will forever be one of your neatest finds! It would be even more special if you could trace a particular family/person to the movement on that property! That deserves a special frame of its own with perhaps the history behind the Copperheads displayed with it. Congrats on a very very nice find from our past.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions