Historically significant Copperheads movement altered Braided Hair large Cent

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I have to say that today will be a day that the twins and I will never forget. Not only did Kyle find the best coin of the year and quite possibly ever, but I found something that you just don't see every day. It was a low VDI number to begin with. pulled it out of the hole and thought....Cool .. some kind of pendant or something. I saw a defining symbol on it. It's an O. Looked like an O on the back of a large cent.From the word ONE. I scratched my head and did not see what should have been obvious. Kyle asked to hold it. I told him that I think it's a copper broken up. He smiled and said. No, look at it. It's the head of a Braided Hair Large cent that was somehow cut out exactly. We started laughing and high fiving in the field. What an unusual but cool find.I can just see in my head the fellow cutting up this coin to impress someone with it. I will always cherish it. I will post pics of it next to a whole one I found earlier in the season. I found a couple of pewter spoon parts, 2 dropped musket balls and a large colonial copper button fragment. I was swinging next to the road when a couple of guys road by on racing bicycles and I heard them conversing loudly back and forth. The one guy was obviously answering the others statement with this sentiment and I quote" No, these fields have been farmed for way over 50 years...They know what they're doing" end quote. I can imagine what the first guy said and it probably went something like this " Look at those idiots metal detecting in that miserable farm field...They wont find squat out there" Little did they know what Kyle already found and had in his pocket. Love this hobby.**Updated and Identified below**
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copperheads_(politics)Copperheads" redirects here. For other uses, see Copperhead (disambiguation).
The Copperheads were a vocal group of Democrats in the Northern United States (see also Union (American Civil War)) who opposed the American Civil War, wanting an immediate peace settlement with the Confederates. Republicans started calling anti-war Democrats "Copperheads", likening them to the poisonous snake. The Peace Democrats accepted the label, but for them the copper "head" was the likeness of Liberty, which they cut from copper pennies and proudly wore as badges. [1]

They comprised the more extreme wing of the "Peace Democrats" were often informally called "Butternuts" (for the color of the Confederate uniforms). The most famous Copperhead was Ohio's Clement L. Vallandigham, a Congressman and leader of the Democratic Party. Republican prosecutors accused some leaders of treason in a series of trials in 1864.[2]

Copperheadism was a highly contentious grassroots movement, strongest in the area just north of the Ohio River, as well as some urban ethnic wards. Historians have argued that it represent a traditionalistic element alarmed at the rapid modernization of society sponsored by the Republican Party, and looked back to Jacksonian Democracy for inspiration. Weber (2006) argues that the Copperheads damaged the Union war effort by fighting the draft, encouraging desertion, and forming conspiracies, but other historians say the draft was in disrepute and the conspiracies were greatly exaggerated by the Republicans for partisan reasons. Historians agree that the Copperheads' goal of negotiating a peace and restoring the Union with slavery was naive and impractical, for the Confederates refused to consider giving up their independence. Copperheadism was a major issue in the 1864 presidential election; its strength waxed when Union armies were doing poorly, and waned when they won great victories. After the fall of Atlanta in September 1864 military success seemed assured, and Copperheadism collapsed.

Chris

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,653
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,603
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,825
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,598
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,592
Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o :o BANNER!!! MR TUFF

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Historically significant Copperheads movement altered Braided Hair large Cen

Don in SJ said:
It would be even more special if you could trace a particular family/person to the movement on that property!

If mine I would work VERY hard on that over the Winter. Knowing who owned it in my books would be X10 compared to what it is now.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Chris, on this find. At first I was skeptical about it, thinking it was cut out from a coin to make a piece of jewelery or just someone with time on their hands. I was familiar with the Copperheads movement during the Civil War, but had not heard of this practice. However, I suspected this topic had been discussed on the forum before, and received the thread from another forum member. There was one post with a period letter of a Copperhead rally that described the members wearing pins that were made from large cents. Good research on someones part :read2: I am now a true believer :notworthy:

Nice piece of history & "good save" :headbang:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But the most IMPORTANT question is--does it count in the Coppa Total? :D

I mean, let's face it... it is only a third of a coppa.

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Steve in PA said:
Congratulations Chris, on this find. At first I was skeptical about it, thinking it was cut out from a coin to make a piece of jewelery or just someone with time on their hands. I was familiar with the Copperheads movement during the Civil War, but had not heard of this practice. However, I suspected this topic had been discussed on the forum before, and received the thread from another forum member. There was one post with a period letter of a Copperhead rally that described the members wearing pins that were made from large cents. Good research on someones part :read2: I am now a true believer :notworthy:

Nice piece of history & "good save" :headbang:
Thanks Steve...I wasn't even aware of the movement until a couple of tnet members brought it to my attention. I do believe this find to be very significant and am happy a few other members agree.
Chris

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
BuckleBoy said:

As Kramer said to Jerry...."Oh it counts" :laughing7:
Chris

:wav:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Historically significant Copperheads movement altered Braided Hair large Cen

BuckleBoy said:

An historically significant find made on American soil and it is not on the Banner. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Kirk

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
THAT is a super cool find! I vote banner!
Baggins

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris, this is a brilliant find! These guys played an important part in American history and this is a awesome find that I'd love to have in my collection. The history and the shear coolness of it is without question! Super find buddy! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Here is a picture of another one on fellow tnet member 4-H 's thread.

Attachments

• Copperhead_1.jpg
    Copperhead_1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 461
  • copperheadpin.jpg
    copperheadpin.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 450

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now you just need to find the rest of the coin. ;D

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the Copperheads poem
The Hissing of the Copperheads is Heard About the Land

Go where desertion is no crime --
Where loyalty is dead
Where sad disaster gives no pain;
There is the Copperhead.
Go where foul scorn is heaped upon
Our noble boys, who go
To stand a wall of fire between
Us and our traitor foe:
Go where bold Grant's revilers are --
Where Burnside is defamed;
Where Banks and Butler -- noble names! --
In scorn alone are named:
Go where patriotic pride,
Honor, and Truth are dead --
Where our success brings but despair;
There is the Copperhead.
-- From "Where is the Copperhead? "
Harper's Weekly, September, 1863
http://americandigest.org/mt-archives/006211.php

The Copperheads were a fraction of Democrats in the North who opposed the American Civil War, wanting an immediate peace settlement with the Confederates. The name Copperheads was given to them by Republicans, probably derived from the venomous snake (the Copperhead) that strikes without warning — Copperheads reinterpreted this insult as a term of honor, and wore copper liberty-head coins as badges. They were also called "Peace Democrats" and "Butternuts". The most famous Copperhead was Ohio's Clement L. Vallandigham, who was a vehement opponent of Lincoln's policies.

Copperheads nominally favored the Union but they strongly opposed the war, hated Blacks, blamed the abolitionists, and demanded immediate peace. They resisted the draft laws, fought the Republican party, and in some cases collaborated with Confederate agents and plotted insurrection. None of their plots came to fruition and some historians (such as Frank Klement) suggest their treason was exaggerated by the Republicans to discredit the entire Democratic party. Copperheads denounced expansion in the powers of the federal government as corruption, and attacked the Lincoln's administration's reliance on private contractors who made high wartime profits. They strenuously opposed wartime measures which infringed on their civil and political liberties, especially their free speech rights. They paraded such slogans as "The Constitution As It Is, The Union As It Was".

A main Copperhead political demand was for the quick opening of serious peace negotiations with the Confederacy. They wanted the war to end even if that meant an independent Confederate States of America. They wanted Lincoln and the Republicans ousted from power, seeing the president as a tyrant who was destroying American republican values with his despotic and arbitrary actions.
Some Copperheads tried to persuade Union soldiers to desert. They talked of helping Confederate prisoners of war seize their camps and escape. They sometimes met with Confederate agents and took their money. The Confederacy encouraged their activities whenever possible, and at one point Confederate agents controlled portions of the Democratic party in states such as Connecticut. Most Democratic party leaders, however, repelled Confederate advances.

Attachments

• peaceangel-thumb.jpg
    peaceangel-thumb.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 416

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread