Historically what depth do very old ships wreck in? What depth would you search?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kevin,

Yes, we all are good! However, it is all in the meaning of the term.???:laughing7:

Frank

Frank, I was only joking where you are concerned because you rock, to coin an American phrase........dde0adde0adde0a LOL

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3 fathom curve in the vicinity of the Cat Cays might not be a bad spot to look.
It is pretty much the narrowest spot in the Bahama Channel and has a nice little "shelf" between 3 and 10 fathoms...plenty of space for a ship to come to rest without sliding down into the briny deep.
Just to the south of the Cat Cays, are the Victory Cays. I don't know the genesis of that place name, but I include a clipping from 1838 for your consideration. You will no doubt take note of the ship Victory, Capt. Dunham, lost in the vicinity with $30,000 in specie aboard. I do not know if the ship has been found and salvaged, but the area would seem to be an ideal shipwreck trap.

I have some pals heading over to Cat Cays very very soon - 2 wrecks located and so far un-salvaged by anyone as far as they can tell.
Should be interesting to say the least!!!

Best of luck to your friends.

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting posts...........I dive alone and as stated, it is a matter of personal responsibility.......certainly one needs to have experience and be smart about it; it remains far from clear to me that most diving buddies will be able to save you.........

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some pals heading over to Cat Cays very very soon - 2 wrecks located and so far un-salvaged by anyone as far as they can tell.
Should be interesting to say the least!!![/QUOTE]

Here's one in that neck of the woods. I can't find anything in Lloyd's or through a cursory Google search. No idea what it might been carrying. Strange name...maybe there is an alternate spelling ?

Cralhon's wreck.png Island of Cuba. (with) Chart of the Bahama Islands. (with) The Bermudas or Summer Islands. Neele sculp., Strand. Drawn & engraved for Thomson's New general atlas, 1816.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread