Hit a New Park Yesterday...and It Looks Ripe!

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my hunting partner and I got skunked two hunts ago, and subsequently got one Indian cent after that apiece, I figured it was time to try some new ground. We have decimated our usual area but in the process both of us have pulled some truly fantastic Barber coins - but it's time to move on until XP launches v4.0 in September. I'm hoping that the new software will be able to reach some more difficult targets at our usual area - can't wait for that! :headbang:

We started out yesterday evening at our new spot - looking for just a Wheat to confirm our suspicions. Not long into the hunt, I got an iffy hit and at 8" deep out comes a nice 1900 Indian cent! The Carrot was still going crazy in the hole, and I thought I had a coin spill, but it turned out to be two large nails DEEPER than the Indian cent, one at 9" deep and another at a full 12" down. The 9" coil does not care - it will see the coins at depth mixed in with iron :hello2: - this was a very fortunate hit and told us both that we had almost certainly discovered some new productive dirt to comb over...

Not long after that my partner hit a 1952 Wheat, and his pinpointer kept screaming at the bottom of the hole, about 8" deep - he was the lucky one to pull a Rosie from there as well which would be the only silver coin between us. This got us both excited - and the time seemed to fly by as we dug a few surface coins, then a few iffies, and eventually got a FEEL of a coin the the bottom of the hole. I remember feeling a smooth rim about 7" deep with my fingers (I was looking for the reeded edge of a silver coin :laughing7:) and pulled a 1937 Wheat for my efforts. Not far away I got a desperate hit that sounded like a beavertail but turned out to be a 1903 Indian at 8-9" deep.

As our time drew to a close, I got a surface hit of a newly dropped zinc penny, and after getting that out of the way I got a good, smooth moderately faint signal exactly where the zinc cent was found. I don't remember the VDI since it started raining and had to put the control box into my pocket out of the rain. At only 6" deep comes a worn 1918 D Wheat!!! What are the odds of a surface coin landing directly on top of a deeper coin out in the open? It ALWAYS pays to recheck a plug....worst case scenario you lose a couple seconds while checking...:tongue3:

Waiting for more rain to further soften the ground - and then we'll be back at it!

Sorry about the crap pictures...

NCM_0312.JPG NCM_0314.JPG NCM_0316.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 17

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The scouting mission went well...........nice finds. Good luck on your new hunting territory!! :treasurechest:

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your modern & old coins at various depths while exploring a new park, bodacious finds & "congrats" to both of you. Be waiting on your next post & I wish you both many more great finds & thanks for this post.

Texas ED

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Yeah, I too am hoping for V 4.0 in September.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! Good luck on the new site! :occasion14:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt! Big Congrats! I nearly missed seeing your post, because I've been tied up all week having my kitchen floor tiled.

tabman

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going. I'll file this one away. Never hurts to try a new pasture!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread