Upvote 1

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet C_A. That looks just like something I pulled out of my refrigerator that got lost in the back.:dontknow:

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like drusy quartz. Was it part of a larger pocket?

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
C_A, as paleo stated it look like druzy quartz, having smaller crystal size with possible host rock elemental impurities which gives it the yellowish coloring. As paleo mentioned most likely from a cavity which allowed the silica in ground water to enter and precipitate to form a crystal lining cavity.

OP
OP
Colleen_Ann

Colleen_Ann

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2017
Wilkes County, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, when I took the picture, it gave it a goldfish tint. The back of the rock looks like it could possibly be lava and it's solid. I found it while digging up for a flower bed. Went down about a foot. There was a thin layer of a sandy like dirt. The closest I have found so far on my search is possible ?kimberlite? I have been digging here in the mtns a long time. Have seen a lot of crystals but not like this. It is cool to the touch, water runs right off of it, and cuts glass. Thank you for those who are helping me figure this out. I really think this piece is neat. Also, I might want to add that I found it on the base of a mtn, near an old creek bed.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you please show the arrowhead?

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking finds! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Colleen_Ann

Colleen_Ann

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2017
Wilkes County, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of it in different lighting, and one of the backside. Looks almost like pumice in a way, but heavy 20170207_220203.jpg 20170207_212710.jpg

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the photos and your area's geology, the base rock (matrix) looks like a metagraywacke. It's essentially sandstone (graywacke) that's partially metamorphosed, so subjected to heat and pressure, but not enough to fully convert it into a schist/gneiss. The drusy quartz would have formed after the heat/pressure event when silica rich water infiltrated fractures and voids. There's probably a ton more material to be found around since it wouldn't have been an isolated event. I'd definitely keep hunting for more specimens!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread