HMS Hussar

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Simon Lake, the submarine pioneer, spent quite a bit of time and money searching for that wreck.

According to Robert Nesmith's excellent Dig for Pirate Treasure (1958) the British government has no record of a treasure loss. And the Admiralty kept meticulous records.

Even if one found the hulk, and even if it contained a payroll or other treasure (and those are two pretty big "If's"), under the Abandoned Shipwreck Act (1987) I don't think the finder would keep the plunder.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Jager32

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2021
NJ/ Phuket
Detector(s) used
Garret XL500
Aqua Pulse AQ1b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done some research on the elusive HMS Hussar and illustrious captain Charles Pole. Seems very unlikely he would have been exonerated in a court martial if a large sum of money was lost. So either there never was any or it was unloaded prior to the sinking.
Also I have worked around NYC and particularly Hell Gate area as a Commercial Diver and Dockbuilders in the Local union for over 20 years. A very treacherous area with limited windows for any type or work or exploration. Plus with years of dredging, land reclamation, and construction debris deposited. Any search and recovery would be monumental. And for all anyone knows, it has been scattered to some unknown location or buried beyond recovery by the above marine methods. As far bilking investors goes... unscrupulous unsuccessful treasure seekers have lied and seeded treasure sites with fake artifacts and fake coins for decades to lure investors to finance their ventures and more likely their retirement.

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simon Lake, the submarine pioneer, spent quite a bit of time and money searching for that wreck.

According to Robert Nesmith's excellent Dig for Pirate Treasure (1958) the British government has no record of a treasure loss. And the Admiralty kept meticulous records.

Even if one found the hulk, and even if it contained a payroll or other treasure (and those are two pretty big "If's"), under the Abandoned Shipwreck Act (1987) I don't think the finder would keep the plunder.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

The only reason I think there is something is 3 salvage attempts by the British. If there wasn’t anything of value on board why bother?

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done some research on the elusive HMS Hussar and illustrious captain Charles Pole. Seems very unlikely he would have been exonerated in a court martial if a large sum of money was lost. So either there never was any or it was unloaded prior to the sinking.
Also I have worked around NYC and particularly Hell Gate area as a Commercial Diver and Dockbuilders in the Local union for over 20 years. A very treacherous area with limited windows for any type or work or exploration. Plus with years of dredging, land reclamation, and construction debris deposited. Any search and recovery would be monumental. And for all anyone knows, it has been scattered to some unknown location or buried beyond recovery by the above marine methods. As far bilking investors goes... unscrupulous unsuccessful treasure seekers have lied and seeded treasure sites with fake artifacts and fake coins for decades to lure investors to finance their ventures and more likely their retirement.

Very treacherous indeed. The ship is not covered by debris. It’s in a different location. I know the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread