Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have I’ve asked about this but I don’t remember the consensus or have the willpower to go back and look for the post if I did, anyway I was looking at some chipped flint hoes in a book and my mind wandered back to this find.
Not a fan of the material and it is somewhat crude and rock like but at the same time, it sure looks worked curious what you guys think, hoe or no
IMG_4794.jpeg
IMG_4795.jpeg
IMG_4796.jpeg
IMG_4797.jpeg
IMG_4799.jpeg
IMG_4800.jpeg
IMG_4801.jpeg
IMG_4802.jpeg
IMG_4803.jpeg

Upvote 1
Looks natural to me, random chips by nature.

It always helps to give us the chararistics of the area found.

On top of a river bluff a couple hundred yards back, sticking out of the dirt on an uphill side of a small private gravel/dirt path going to a burnt down fishing cabin that has produced Indian artifacts in the past, a small creek cuts around the cabin too, the dirt is fairly thin and covers a flaky sandstone that gives a yellowish color to the dirt at the boundary… the stone doesn’t fit in the immediate area but I’m not sold on it being flint, although some stones in the creek have a heavy patina that gives a similar texture and discoloration to the stone

Ok with the thought of it’s questionable to natural I took a flake off, it’s definitely chippable, and has been weathered it’s like it’s somewhere between a mudstone and a flint, kinda hurt me to do it incase it was an artifact but it’s done and now I know more
IMG_4807.jpeg

Last edited:
It may be a broken tool, a hand tool. I don't think it's a hoe or spade preform or tool.

The material is not what I would expect to see on a mississipian hoe or spade relic. The majority of these were manufactured from Mill Creek Chert. I have seen a very few made from other materials, one was made of Harrison County Flint, which was nice.

The material appears to be a granite, but I can't tell for certain.

I don't see any indications that would make me think it's been knapped into this shape purposefully or any use wear / marks.

Thanks for the info, I can get behind all of that except no granite here it’s all sedimentary, limestone, shales and sandstones, with your chert nodules mixed in. Also why I suspect I don’t find any cool hardstone artifacts like some of you guys. But you’ve got a point on the hoe I hadn’t considered, I’m actually reading a book right now that mentioned the basic monopoly that mill creek had considering hoes weren’t a major part of the tool kit till recently it’s less likely it’s a hoe. thanks again for the interest

I agree it appears natural and would maybe say 90% natural 10% worked. If it is worked I would examine the area for other items. Good eye for finding it. I have wondered at times how much stuff I might have missed while hiking and exploring.

Appreciate the answers it’s so borderline I’ll keep it in the maybe category, some things I just hang onto, try to learn and keep my eyes open for similar situations, with time a lot of things become clear one way or another
I will add several years ago this popped up about 100 yds down the same creek consensus on t-net at the time was an adze which surprised me a bit, fresh eyes may think otherwise but I’ll post it again anyway. It has the same possible heavy patina and what could be/are removals
IMG_4817.jpeg
IMG_4818.jpeg
IMG_4819.jpeg
IMG_4820.jpeg
IMG_4821.jpeg
IMG_4823.jpeg
IMG_4822.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back