What's new

Holes in things.

rjeffw

Full Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2017
Messages
168
Reaction score
409
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So why do you see a hole in so many old coins?
 
What's ironic is they put a hole in the coin so they wouldn't lose it by hanging it around their neck most likely!
 
As far as the silver coins go, I've also heard that silver, having antibacterial properties, would be used to kill microbes in milk by suspending a coin by a string in it.
 
Silver and copper was always thought to have healing ability by old timers, i used to have nose bleeds alot as a child ,my grandmother told of wearing a silver dime around the neck to cure it ,so at five years old i wore one, and i dont wear it now but in my entire life i have never had another nose bleed.
 
I had never heard about them being used as healers, always believed that they were punched so they could hang them around their necks so they wouldn't lose them.
 
I had never heard about them being used as healers, always believed that they were punched so they could hang them around their necks so they wouldn't lose them.

Colloidal silver is one of the best antibacterials around.
 
A holed coin would still spend. It was a way to remove some of the precious metal. They started rimming coins because people would shave them. This in addition to everything mentioned above. and yes silver has huge healing properties.
 
Before pants had pockets,people would hole coins and sew them to their clothes.
 
I got a Goldfield, Nv. token that has two holes. Looks like someone needed a large button???
 
You punch a hole in a silver coin to match the one in your head. Gives you balance.
 
theres a thread somewhere it says people would tie a string to it and let it sit in laundry or something Ill copy it here if I can find it
 
I can remember farm labor wearing coins on a string around their ankles …. I am sure I asked some of them why , but I can't remember what I was told ...I do remember that bottle trees in the yard was to ward off spirits ….
 
I can remember farm labor wearing coins on a string around their ankles …. I am sure I asked some of them why , but I can't remember what I was told ...I do remember that bottle trees in the yard was to ward off spirits ….
Im so old I remember party lines!
 
I remember party lines and jungle juice I dont think were on the same page or in the same book lol
 
Holed coins are normally a result of making them into wearable jewelry. This has been going on for thousands of years, probably since the first coins were made. Before pockets coins were carried in sacks or "pokes". Here in the old northeast we find old coppers with holes in the center which were used as washers on old slate roofs. I found a couple at a colonial era church and the pastor told me they had found a bunch of them still in place when part of the roof as repaired. They were not new coins when originally used on the roof, they were very worn English KG2 and KG3 cents.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom