Holes

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone here found a hole in the ground that might be the place where a target was once buried?

I recently came across such a location that just might be the spot where the target I was looking for was hidden. All the area around it is smooth, with no unusual mounds, depressions, dips, or other holes like it etc. It is on the side of a hill and tear drop in shape. The upper area is about three (3') feet wide and about three(3') feet deep. The walls of the hole do not go straight down from the top but angle down toward it's bottom, in a “V” like shape. It is about 25 feet long and becomes shallow and narrow at its lower end. It is about 300 feet up a 550 foot long shallow, rocky, dry gulch.

Has anyone here had experience, or know how to, or have an idea how to determine if a hole was man made or nature made?

Thanks,

Les.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Les, if you let your imagination run wild: Sure, you could surmise "a removed treasure" from any hole you see. But me thinks that's an over-active imagination. Holes exist EVERY WHERE in the landscape , of anywhere human activity has taken place. For LOTS of reasons that have utterly nothing to do with treasure.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the shape and size of the hole conform to the target you thought was there?

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time that has happened, my dowsing rods were due for calibration.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A picture is worth a thousand words they say. It could be just a natural impression from rocks being removed, or a cellar hole.

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone. I'll take it from here.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that you said "DRY" but, the trench you describe are sometimes dug to divert water away from an area during the rainy season. Check the area again. There may be something else there that the trench was dug to protect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread