What's new

Holiday Expectations

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that the holidays (Thanksgiving to Christmas) tend to have folks dump more coins. Makes sense to me. Folks need to pay for gifts, etc.
I have only been CRH since January, so I was not in the "swing of things" during the previous winter/holiday season.

So, the question is: To what extent should the expectation be to cull more silver during November and December, as opposed to other months?

Just curious. I know it really is the luck of the draw in what is dumped and what we find. But, in the scheme of things, it would be nice if all of us could have "record" months. :icon_sunny:

apush :read2:
 
Upvote 0
I don't know the answer either, but I'm gonna be begging some local CU's to sell me their bags of change.
 
I never noticed a change in the amount of silver I found. Actually December has been one of my worse months. The expectation that people will be dumping more silver during these months over any other months doesnt ring true in my opinion. Also I wouldnt think that you are going to see the impact immediately if it was true. Unless you are searching bags off the counter or boxes packaged up a few days before you get them most carriers are a few months behind on inventory. I rarely get a bag/box marked with the date of the current month. Some might and you might get a few extra silver coins but to think its going to be a silver explosion because of the holidays just isnt true. I hope you can prove me wrong though. These are just my observations.
 
In past years, the November, December, and January (CC bills come and people need to pay) have been the most fruitful. However, I don't expect the trend to continue as their are so many others looking for halves. From people snagging the silver at the counter to those that are culling the bags, they are seizing the silver before it makes it to the box. Still one of my favorite times of the year as collections are being dumped both knowingly and unknowingly (theft), it increases your odds of finding the old commemorative coins.
 
Apush,

My experience over the past 10 years or so is that the boxes don't change much with the seasons, but the teller tray and customer wrapped finds do seem to pick up some over the holidays. I've never tracked it, but some of my biggest scores have come over the counter in the Nov/Dec/Jan timeframe.

Good time to hit the road!

HSH :thumbsup:
 
See now I am on the other side of the coin on this one.
I personally think there are more silver coins found in the summer
months rather the winter.
My thinking is that when older people die in the winter
(esp in the cold weather states) is that the families normally
wait until summer to come up and settle the estate.
I find way more silver in the summer then the winter.
Last Dec. I searched 24 skunk boxes in a row.
Just my thoughts.
Gl
Keep looking
Dan
 
Apush , There is nothing wrong with hope, when it turns into expectation - you may be setting
yourself up for disappointment . My best single score - was a stack of ten 64's sitting in a teller
tray , and in fact it was in early December , but I continue to believe that this is largely a random
process . Happy hunting ! Argentium.
 
I've only been in the game since November of 08. The only thing that I have found is that from October to January I get my oldest and most unusual coins.
HH
Rich
 
Won't mean much for boxes - they are likely at least a few months old. For customer rolls I had my best month last December. It was likely just the right place at the right time but sure made for a nice end of year totals :icon_thumleft:

Maine_Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom