Holotropic Breathwork (altered/nonordinary states)

M

Mike(Mont)

Stanislav and Christina Grof have been working in the field of nonordinary states of consciousness since the 1950's. A survey of over five hundred cultures found that over ninety percent of them had some sort of nonordinary-state rituals. Our Western culture is one of the few which does not have a socially sanctioned way. There are many different methods, including meditation, prayer, fasting, chanting, drumming, dancing, controlled breathing, ingestion of psychoactive substances, and deprevation of sleep. The nonordinary state is sacred in native cultures and mainly used for healing and seeking wisdom. Many people have spontaneous episodes, like during childbirth or even while running or fasting.

In our society there has been no attempt to distinguish the difference between psychotic and mystic states. Many of the Catholic saints spent much of their time in nonordinary states, and this has also played a central role in many of the world's religions. Western culture has a tendency to classify ordinary states of consciousness as "real" and nonordinary states as "unreal" and discount it. Both are real and result in real experiences and are important to a full life.

Stanislav Groff has identified four general characteristics:
1. sensory vividness
2. trandencence of time and space
3. transcendence of the sharp disctinction between matter and energy
4. " " " " " the part and the whole

"Nonordinary states give us an opportunity to extend our experience beyond the limitations of cause and effect, the three dimensions, and linear time.Through nonordinary states we may experience some of the seemingly paradoxical situations appearing in centuries of mystical literature. The current research in physics also suggests there is a validity to these experiences..."

I got this info from the book "The Breathwork Experience" by Kylea Taylor

Grof has written many books on the subject.

:angel7:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup: STARBUCKS! KEY is finding the BEST "brainwave" for "altered states of Consciousness"; DO NOT want Theta Waves... supposedly, that is of DEATH (of the physical body). Will R & I
(Research & Investigate) "brainwaves" during NDE (Near Death Experience...); MAY be a "clue". :wink:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D HA! I am focused MORE on ALTERED STATES OF CONSCIOUSNESS, which I have MORE experience with... continue to share what U find... :wink:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup: YEP, it DOES sound MORE like "inner work"/healing for individuals or groups; You MAY wanna try REMOTE VIEWING or TRV, as a "technique" for treasure hunting/
finding... solving "unknown histories", etc. A "new" way of doing it. :wink:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D Dr. G's career WAS in Psychology, wasn't it? LSD Therapy... Re-Birthing Therapy... :o DUNNO... ???

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D :coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup: Different levels of Consciousness; HEAVY stuff! ;D MY thought is that the BRAIN, is like a "receiver" in a TV/Radio; "interfaced" with a computer for "memories storage". Super/Supra-Consciousness is simply the "broadcasting waves", that needs to be "tuned into" via "meditation"; SOME pp might even say "IT" is the HOLY SPIRIT... GOD... ??? Consciouisness is our "normal waking state"; sub-consciouisness is simply involuntary... like the heart/blood stuff, you DON'T have to "think about". UN-Consciousness, MAY be simply the absence of the "mind" from the physical body (like a COMA). I would simply "meditate" (tune in) into/onto the "channel" you want... it is ALSO very similar to REMOTE VIEWING. THEN... there is NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE... :D :wink:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D :coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup: Forgot to add "interface" video/audio to the above "brain/receiver" example for "memories storage"; THEN, you have the "scent/touchy/feelie" stuff. I remember the very FIRST time, going into that "haunted house" up in the mountains of Amherst County, Va. There was an "old fireplace" scent.... and the "thought" came to me... NEST OF GHOSTIES"! ;D I was correct, just didn't tell the wife. SHE didn't "smell" it, but cleaned the closest with CLORAX, anyway. I was "poked", "prodded", and once had a "black thingie" rush at me, one night, when we were going to sleep. Didn't scare me... DID startle me. :D :wink: :coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread