HOLY COW! REV. WAR HESSIAN BUTTON! IN ARK OF ALL PLACES!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was hunting with the new HF coil, was digging a lot of very deep small stuff, several shotgun stamps and parts of pull tabs. Also found a small token, several very small buttons etc. I found something that I wasn't sure what it was, pretty deep close to some very large pines. I put it in my good coin box and went about my business. I was a little down, hunted hard and only found one coin and it was a memorial. After I got home, finally got around to checking my finds and pulled out the one thing that I kind of thought was a button of sorts. It was thick in the back and was what I guess would be called a two piece button. The edge had been reeded but was worn smooth. I could see a bird of sorts with three legs and words in "latin" as best as I could tell. My wife got really excited and took it away to both look at it and to look up the words. I was working on the token when I heard her gasp and give me a wild look. She said that not only did she find out what the words said, but that it was a button worn by Hessian soldiers in the Revolutionary War. The Words in English said " GOD IS OUR HOPE." The Latin words written were ES DEVS SPES NOSTRA . The back side looked like the other portion had possible rusted off, not sure. My first thought when I wiped the mud off of it at the hole was maybe something Aztec the way the bird looked. I didn't see the three legs at first. Was not expecting to find anything like that around here. This could be my oldest find of any sort, still can't believe what I found. Oh yeah, had to explain to her the roles that the Hessians played. :headbang::blob9::blob9::blob9:

Attachments

• 20180302_194046.jpg
    20180302_194046.jpg
    927.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 20180302_194227.jpg
    20180302_194227.jpg
    725.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 20180302_202052.jpg
    20180302_202052.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 8

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a Germanic states button. The iron backs like that were not used in the 18th century, with that said, it is most likely from a mid 19th century immigrant or a volunteer for the Confederate army. A lot of British and other folks came over and fought for the Confederacy. It's a neat looking button for sure.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely a Germanic states button. The iron backs like that were not used in the 18th century, with that said, it is most likely from a mid 19th century immigrant or a volunteer for the Confederate army. A lot of British and other folks came over and fought for the Confederacy. It's a neat looking button for sure.

I am not arguing with you at all and you are probably right. I thought that the back might have possibly rusted off but what I am seeing is not rust but just the unfinished backside of the top half of the button. it was all the same color of the top side pus the dirt. at any rate, it is still a very cool find for me

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a coat as a kid from sears that had buttons like that they had steel backs

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is from an old post with pic of exact button to yours
modern "blazer buttons of this type are often found"
here are pics of some from older posts - most found in newer parks or school yards
and I found a bunch in the 70s at schools and parks myself - like I said - think sears sold items for boys with those type of buttons
many had other coat of arms too that look military like.
here is another post made years ago to someone elses request on this type of button
"For the record: It's a modern (20th century) blazer / fashion button made for use on sport coats, jackets, sweaters, etc. The bird, usually depicted with three legs (or a tail that looks like a third leg), is often described as a Teutonic eagle. The motto Spes Nostra Es Deus is Latin for, "God is our hope." Blazer buttons frequently feature antique-looking designs or crests, and Latin or pseudo-Latin mottoes.
This has often been misidentified as a Revolutionary War Hessian military button."
button.jpg eagle.jpg index3_php.jpg addon.png

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not arguing with you at all and you are probably right. I thought that the back might have possibly rusted off but what I am seeing is not rust but just the unfinished backside of the top half of the button. it was all the same color of the top side pus the dirt. at any rate, it is still a very cool find for me
Which makes it two-piece & post 18th C.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks all for the info, well, it was exciting for a little bit. it is what it is and this would explain why it was found here. still a cool find

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find,, enjoyed reading your post and the responses.
I found a Hessian button in Riverside Park in NYC. It made sense because Admiral Howe, (General Howe's brother) was chasing George Washington, who escaped up the West side and eventually, got to White Plains. The button had a double headed eagle and looked pewter. I was so disappointed when I found out it was a modern day copy.
Congrats on your find and your short lived celebration.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated above, LOTS of older buttons were re-purposed in the 19th century, both civilian and military...buttons were of higher value than you think. It was common for CW uniform buttons to be cobbled together from many sources, especially Confederate and "field sourced" (repairs to uniforms in camp). Both Federal and Confederate used what they could find. Up until and through the early part of the Industrial Age, machined buttons were a treasure. Now, not so much. You hit the lick getting that button.

Regardless, an exceptional recovery...NICELY done!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As stated above, LOTS of older buttons were re-purposed in the 19th century, both civilian and military...buttons were of higher value than you think. It was common for CW uniform buttons to be cobbled together from many sources, especially Confederate and "field sourced" (repairs to uniforms in camp). Both Federal and Confederate used what they could find. Up until and through the early part of the Industrial Age, machined buttons were a treasure. Now, not so much. You hit the lick getting that button.

Regardless, an exceptional recovery...NICELY done!

thank you very much, it has age to it irregardless, yes the soil can age anything. I also found not terribly far from here a button from the 1880's that had been a conductor's vest button. from the rapid transit system of chicago. so there are old things here. in one way a heart breaker and yet in another still an awesome find, at least for me.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find! :occasion14:

You are killing it with that HF coil! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread