Holed coin eh?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out this evening to a cellar hole within walking distance from my house. It's not on the 1876 maps but I'd judge the property at late 1800's by the foundation construction. Started of with some clad and a spoon with some nice detail. Next signal was a copper penny report and shallow. Out popped big roundness and I couldn't tell what it was. Put it in my keeper box and milled around a little more until sunset but it slowed down.

After getting home I felt like night hunting at a farm field I frequent. First dig there was a deep wheat penny. The next was a V nickel. It's an 1889 and actually has some pretty decent details for these. After a few musketballs I got an awesome deep high tone. Had a feeling it was going to be silver due to the whisper like signal. That ended up being a 1942 silver washington quarter. Last was a miner tag, shotgun shell and a whatzit.

The first big coin ended up being a holed 1920 Canadian large cent! Made me laugh it was that modern. I'll take it!

Had a blast this evening and hope everyone is able to get out for some therapy this weekend! GL HH....

20180302_203134.jpg
20180302_202708.jpg
20180302_201600.jpg

Upvote 17

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt HighV! Old Canadian Cent is unusual in our parts. The V and Silver are nice for a short hunt. Congrats!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t_o.gif
Nice finds HighVDI - especially the Canadian Large Cent - first I heard someone finding one. Thanks for sharing...

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice variety,
Congrats on the Silver.

Thanks ATW!

Nice hunt HighV! Old Canadian Cent is unusual in our parts. The V and Silver are nice for a short hunt. Congrats!

Thank you, Sir! Yeah, It was definitely the last coin I thought would pop up on that dig, lol.

Great finds! You call 1920s modern? Not in my neck of the woods. Congrats!

I do consider it modern for a holed coin. Seems like most holed coins I've dug are mid 1800's or older. Thanks!

t_o.gif
Nice finds HighVDI - especially the Canadian Large Cent - first I heard someone finding one. Thanks for sharing...

Thanks VP! I've seen a few dug on youtube but in States North of here.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some nice coins for a short hunt. Congrats on the variety.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice hunt! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread