Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY " " whats the chances!!!!!!

WOW!!! went to the beach today and found very little.Then i went over to a tot lot not far from there,have hit this one before and didn't find much.It was beginning to be a repeat of last time.At the back of the lot behind the little duck in the right hand corner there is a kiddy swing.I got a strong signal i believe in the 80s,not to sure was digging everything so wasn't paying close attention.I was doing the push the sand around with my foot thing and this is what i saw.I'm still in SHOCK!!! Not sure how it got there but i don't think it really matters at this point in time. ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,068
  • IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 2,052
  • IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 2,051
Upvote 0
Re: HOLY " " whats the chances!!!!!!

Ya never know where you'll find such goodies. I found my 1878 8 tailfeather Morgan silver dollar in a hundred plus year old plowed farm field. Congrats on the sweet find!

HH
John

It may be a counterfeit as China is mass producing counterfeit morgans by the ship loads...This post is to warn not say if it is or is not what the finder thinks it is

Question: is the reverse oriented the right way? There are lots of copies floating around (made in China, where else?) and you never know! I hope it's the real thing, for your sake, and if so, congrats on a great find! And I just noticed the previous post said the same thing!

Nice...most certainly a recent loss (obviously) but who cares. If it's not counterfeit then good on you. Some kid is getting a spanking for swiping dads coin collection and you are reaping the benefits!

Amazing! Take it and run! :D

:o , nice !

detectahead said:
Amazing! Take it and run! :D

I'm still running!!
The coin is oriented the right way,also has some small dings on the edge of it.Edges are worn a little on the corners.Does any one know if the counterfits have the same weight as a real one.

Attachments

• IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,354

creeper71 said:
It may be a counterfeit as China is mass producing counterfeit morgans by the ship loads...This post is to warn not say if it is or is not what the finder thinks it is

It was my thoughts exactly... but it may also be a recent drop. The weight is one way to determine if it is real. Also, how did it read on the detector you were using? On the MXT it should have been very close to a 92 VDI if real. If it read like a big quarter than my guess is nay.

Neil in West Jersey said:
creeper71 said:

It was my thoughts exactly... but it may also be a recent drop. The weight is one way to determine if it is real. Also, how did it read on the detector you were using? On the MXT it should have been very close to a 92 VDI if real. If it read like a big quarter than my guess is nay.
Just went outside and ran it under my MXT. Hit a solid 94.

Attachments

• IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,329

Was just looking in my coin book,found the weight .77344oz. Will have to get it on a scale!

The scale will help; DrDetector found a Seated "dollar" recently that weighed significantly less than a real dollar would have. We had to conclude "China."

jog said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
creeper71 said:

Just went outside and ran it under my MXT. Hit a solid 94.

:icon_thumright: Looks good!

FRIENDS?

Possumguts said:
Any chance one of your detecting "friends" may be "funnin" with you?
if his detecting friends are foolin like that...........i need some new friends...lol !.!.!

Have been out of town for a week!just got back and was able to get this coin on a scale.I had misread the weight out of my coin book.Designer George T, Morgan; weight 26.73 grams.I believe i was reading the copper weight.Next step will be to send it to PCGS to get graded.

Attachments

• IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 579

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back