Home insulation

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
There is an coating you apply like paint, that is far superior to any insulation out there. It is called superTherm. It was invented by NASA, and is used in the aerospace industry, especially in spacecraft that need super insulation against the coldness of space. What this is, is a ceramic coating that can be applied like paint to the interior of you home or other structures to keep the interior warm or cool. What it does is reflect the heat back into the room, just like an emergency blanket reflects heat back into your body. There is very little heat loss and reduces fuel and energy required to heat or cool your home or business. Good Luck. rockhound

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you can purchase this where?

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
This is only one of the ways to reduce your heating bill. You can use solar heating by using south facing windows to let in the sunshine during the winter. You can heat water in a black plastic pipe laying in the sun.You can buy black plastic pipes of different sizes from 2'' up to 8''in diameter.Several feet of this will supply enough hot water to take a bath.You can refrigerate by using a copper pipe running into a cooler or insualted container(or room),by filling a reservoir with ammonia, and sitting it in the sun. The heat from the sun will vaporize the ammonia and causr it to rise into a cooler,sitting higher than the reservoir. Where it grabs heat and removes it from the cooler. As it reliquifies it will drain back into the reservoir. The reservoir should be painted black for best results. This is the same principle your refrigerator uses,except it uses a better refrigerant and compresses it. There are many solar devices you can build to make electricity or use for pumping water. Also there are many wind mills,turbines and vanes that will supply occassional power for pumping water or generating electricity. If water is a problem, there are many ways to collect water from condensation from the air. No one needn't have to be without water or electricity. The technology is out there if you have the desire to build it and you can become more self sufficient. I can see small communes in the future working together to survive in a world where you can't buy what you need. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Here is another thing that will save you some money on your electric or fuel bills for your home. These are panels to reflect heat or keep it out of your windows. The website for more information and or purchase is www.inflectorpanel.net/index.html Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
There are other ways to save also. You can change all your light bulbs to CFL or LED. I prefer LED. I just bought a new refrigerator, a tier 3 model,which by my claculations should save me at least $100, over my older model.Buying a modern energy efficient applicance could save you a major amount in the long run,especially if yours is over 10 years old. What you save could pay for the unit in about 5-6 years,that is if electrical rates stay the same,which they wont. The newer more efficient heat pumps also have a higher seer rating and could save you substantial money in heating and cooling bills. That is the next thing I am going to replace. Anything over 10 years old is antiquated by todays standards.Technology is advancing so fast it is almost impossible to keep up with it. Your new phone,computer or appliance you just bought will outdated in a year.I change my water heater out to a tankless unit 5 years ago. It has saved me a great deal of elctricity and has paid for itself. I have unlimited hot water avaiable on demand so I don't need to keep the water hot in a tank for instantaneous use. The next step will be a solar unit.More ideas later.Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
With the deliberate move made by the government, it is fast becoming required to use all recycleable and or natural(green) materials in new home construction. With that
in mind,I would like to say that the best insulated homes are the ones underground. They are better insulated, they use less energy from heating and cooling is not required. You have no worries about tornados,hurricanes,or fires. Flooding could cause troubles, as could earthquakes,but with some careful planning,you could reduce that
potential to a far lesser degree.There are companies that specialize in earth homes,using you r own dirt removed from your own site,compressed and made into blocks that are laid just like bricks,but have a much higher R value for insualtion, and they are waterproof.You can find these companies on the internet if interested.As weather patterns change and as the cycle we are in causes hotter and dryer weather than normal, we will see more homes constructed underground. An underground home can also generate some of its own water. Energy efficient systems can drastically reduce your electrical needs. Good luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
If you have a ice and water through the door refrigerator, you can put two magnets on the incoming water line to improve the taste of your water and ice. They will need to be placed,one on each side of line attracting each other.This will help break up the minerals in your water for a better taste and make your water softer,too. While you are at it,you can remov the bottom panel of your fridge and put 2 magnets on the incoming and tubing to the compressor, and 2 magnets on the incoming tubing going to the condensor. This will allow the freon in the newer refridgerators to stay mixed well and prolong their life. The new fridge's use R 134 A and and oil for lubricating them. They run at higher pressures and therefore need to be oiled continuously. They will not last like the old refridgerators with R 12 in them. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
hho heater

I have decided to put this in the home insulation thread because it will be mostly used in the home or other buildings for heating purposes. hhoheaterplans.com has just made their plans open source to get the word to the public. These plans were costling $59.95, but this group are more concerned about more people having this knowledge, so they decided to post it on their website. This is a great system for those who have the capability of building it. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
If you want or need a portable electric heater, then take a look at this unit. It is a Soleus PH3. It is a portable heat pump with air conditioning and heating unit. It is the most energy efficient electric unit available for heating a small house or apartment, or to offset the costs of your other heating and or cooling system. It is around $500 or less on sale. There are also other sized units made by Soleus, all are energy star efficient. Go to www.air-n-water.com to take a look a this unit. Good Luck. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread