Homemade bird feeder

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Someone asked for more photos,details of my birdfeeder. Finally,today, the birds started coming to feed,so it works!
So,here is how I made it. I cut the can to about 17" high (you can make it most any height),cutting along the ribs molded into the can. I drilled 1/4" holes for the screws that hold the top on. Attached a 1 3/4" PVC pipe cap under the lid to support the top. Cut a 1 3/4" hole in the bottom for the post to go through. Made two big "washers" from scraps to sit atop the hose clamp and scrap piece to support the bottom. I had a Droll Yankees feeder,so I removed the bottom part,and cut the center cone to let the post go through. Cut a 2" hole and capped it for a way to fill the hopper in the feeder. The Droll Yankees feeder isn't a necessary part of this feeder,as seed can just be placed on the tray. The photos tell the rest. I cut the can with a metal shears and a box cutter.
Oh,I also drilled a dozen 1/8" holes in the bottom to drain any water,but after three days of rain,the seed is still dry. The lid keeps the rain out quite well.

Attachments

• IMGP0229.JPG
    IMGP0229.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 1,327
  • IMGP0232.jpg
    IMGP0232.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 391
  • IMGP0225.JPG
    IMGP0225.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 353
  • IMGP0226.jpg
    IMGP0226.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 332
  • IMGP0231.jpg
    IMGP0231.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 905
  • IMGP0230.jpg
    IMGP0230.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 541

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Hey jd...That would have been me asking for more info on your feeder....quite ingenious, I must say.....thanks for the detailed photos and instructions you provided for making it...I just might try it myself...Like someone else had said, you should think about sending an article to some craft/project magazine...It really came out looking great...thanks again..

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree - very creative!! If you don't already subscribe, here is a link to one of my favorite magazines if you enjoy birds.

http://www.birdsandblooms.com/

It's a beautiful magazine and always full of great tips and ideas like yours!

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet feeder!! I may have to give one a try.

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
I am wondering if you have had any squirrel problems yet...?

Did you end up greasing the pole?

That is a awsome looking feeder. Like someone else said..you need to create the plans.
Dave

OP
OP
junkdigger

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Plans? Just eyeball engineering...so every feeder will be unique! The squirrels never come near the feeder. I did move the bird bath away though,just in case they get any ideas. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions