homemade detector as seen on Meteorite Men

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
On the show meteorite men they make a large scale detector out of pvc and wrap the coil wiring themselves. How realiable is this? Is the size of this homemade coil make the instrument detect deeper? How many feet of wrapped wire would it take to make this work properly if it were 6 x 6 feet square? Any schematics out there to make one that has been tested? Thanks

sctoddc

Jan 4, 2010
Greenwood SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will be watching this thread, I think I saw the episode you're talking about, and was wondering the same thing.

Todd

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The type of detector used for this is Pulse Induction and, fortunately, PI is pretty forgiving towards coil parameters. Therefore, homemade coils for PI are fairly easy. For a typical 300uH inductance, a 1-meter diameter coil has 9 turns of wire, and a 2-meter diameter coil has 6 turns of wire.

- Carl

P.S. -- see Geotech for lots of PI projects.

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl is correct. PI's, at least many of them are very forgiving when it comes to building coils, so building a larger coil is not a big deal. Since large coils are not operated at a short delay, then even the inductance isn't totally critical. In other words, lets say you want to build a 2 meter coil, you could use 6 turns or even 7 or 8 turns and make the coil work. The key is being able to change the delay and the circuitry involved.

In the case of the large coil, the object you would be looking for has to be big and as such will normally have a long time constant, meaning you can turn the delay up so a larger coil will work. If the delay is turned up enough, then even shielding may not be necessary. Also, ground balance may not be needed also.

Personally, I would add shielding to minimize external noise.

Reg

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
Any schematics out there to make one that has been tested?

This was an important part of the original posting. Does anyone have info on building one?

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relicswinger said:
Any schematics out there to make one that has been tested?

This was an important part of the original posting. Does anyone have info on building one?

P.S. -- see Geotech for lots of PI projects.

Click on the word "Geotech"

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first saw that detector, I wondered the same thing. When he was here in KS ( before the TV show), Steve Arnold had someone modify a Pulse Star II to use a large coil. My 3 footer is 11 turns and 572uH. It's in the shop now, it seems to have gone deaf. I suspect the electrolytic caps have gotten old. If you want to know more, follow Carl's link

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread