homemade dredge, pump question

bx4972

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, new here in the forum. Recently got into prospecting while living in Utah, played around American Fork, and other canyons in central utah. Found some gold and got hooked.

Moved back to Kentucky recently, where there supposedly isn't much gold. But I've got some glacial deposits not far from here in Indiana, Ohio...and gold in Tennessee, NC...etc.

I like building my own equipment. Built a nice foldable sluicebox, a pvc sucker tube, a spyglass (2 1/2' long 4"pvc with a 4" magnifying glass in the end, as opposed to simple plastic).

I'm interested in building a small gas powered dredge. Possibly a backpack style (I know I will also be dealing with other supplies while in remote locations, gas, food, etc...but like the idea of being able to get to more remote locations).

My question is about pumps. My budget is about $300. I'm not interested in getting too hardcore, and processing tons of material, just like the idea of the process being made a little easier than filling buckets, and hand pumping. I also won't be using this in very deep water, just small pools. Want to be able to suck the cracks clean, where I'm currently limited.

Will clear water pumps work for dredging? Standard gas powered water pumps? Pool pumps? I'm confused on their ability to move solids. Do they need to be modified?

Thanks for your help:)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
do yourself a BIG favor and look to Craigs list in California for a real dredge/pump combo. why buy something thatll work just marginonally,when you can get something thatll work like you need it to the first time!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are confused about "moving solids" then you aren't ready to build a dredge. You need to buy some basic dredging books that explain operation principles for suctions dredges.

OP
OP
B

bx4972

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually use toilets to move solids.

I don't know...dredging seems like such a pain in the ass. Effective, but a pain...and regulated...and restricted. Kinda gives the "hobby" a bad image. Especially on a large scale.

I'll figure something out...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm, what would I rather do all day? Pan individual shovel loads? Shovel into a highbanker? Nope, I'd rather let the equipment do all the work of picking up material, sorting out the heavies and leaving me with just a bucket of cons at the end of the day.

Regulations depend on where you plan on prospecting.

OP
OP
B

bx4972

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• dredgebasics.jpeg
    dredgebasics.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 5,215
OP
OP
B

bx4972

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't mean to insult the dredgers... by "pain in the ass" I just meant in remote locations. Places where there haven't already been a thousand other people cleaning out the exact same spot. I like to hike long distances...and even then I'm not foolish enough to believe I've discovered anything new. I know it happens, but it's rare.

Well, if I come up with a nice backpack design I'll post it for your enjoyment (or laughter:)

In the meantime, if you want to do some sniping, here's a picture of a simple tool I made (4" pvc pipe with 4" diameter magnifying glass). You can get into some pretty deep, tight spots with this, and the magnifying glass makes a huge difference. I use a large homemade snifter to suck up the flakes and pickers.

Also pics of my homemade sluicebox ($25.00), and classifiers (5 gallon bucket tops, screen, hardware...about $4.00 each) Being made out of bucket tops, the fit perfectly into each other, and the top of your bucket.

Attachments

• 120208_001.jpg
    120208_001.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,441
  • 120208_002.jpg
    120208_002.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,409
  • 120208_003.jpg
    120208_003.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 852
  • 120208_006.jpg
    120208_006.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 605
  • 120208_005.jpg
    120208_005.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 802
  • 120208_004.jpg
    120208_004.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 779

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BX4972 :icon_thumleft:

Great start to getting your arsenal together! Cant wait to see your backpack design.

GG~

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great diagram of a dredge. If the pump is a 3 inch pump and hose, what size should that bigger hose be? Or could it work ok, if the 3 " pump hose is reduced to 2 inches, and then use a 3 inch hose for the bigger Lift hose? Also about what size is that smaller pipe that curves back to the lift pipe?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CaptJohn said:
Thats a great diagram of a dredge. If the pump is a 3 inch pump and hose, what size should that bigger hose be? Or could it work ok, if the 3 " pump hose is reduced to 2 inches, and then use a 3 inch hose for the bigger Lift hose? Also about what size is that smaller pipe that curves back to the lift pipe?

Not that simple Capt................
A lot has to be taken into consideration. Pump size is one thing, the motor to run the pump is another. Whether you use a suction nozzle system or a jet system is still another.

The diagram shows a suction nozzle system...... so lets say for instance you want to use a 3" dia. suction hose. You will need a 3" dia. suction nozzle. They typically come with a 1-1/2" pressure pipe with a hose adapter fitting for a 1-1/2" hose or a 2" hose. So you will have to reduce the pump output to fit either a 1-1/2" hose or a 2" hose.

The longer the suction hose and the deeper you dredge requires more "lift" that's where the horsepower of the drive motor and the efficiency of the pump come into play.

GG~

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
BX4972 the veiwing tube you have needs to have a slot or 2 cut into the edge of the bottom of your tube to let air bubbles excape so you dont see that bubble while veiwing. but nice job!

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wanted to thank you guys for this disscussion me and another buddy of mine are going to do this for the first time this year so diagram is greatly apreciated that tought me something right there!

Hillbillybjopkr1

Apr 2, 2012
Montague. Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold King double sluce with 3"-4" setup's. homemade frame and pontoons
Primary Interest:
Other
the best backpack set up i've seen was a lil 2.5" setup run by a weed-eater engine. Was my dad's first dredge worked great for really small streams that were bairly a trickle. Had to dig a hole for the foot valve and had to shut down alot for afew minutes to let if fill back up. we worked alil place called sunday gultch just past Platina. Made a absolute killin....most gold i had ever seen. I was about 8 yrs old then.....always wondered why we never went back

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions