I built one several years ago, for cleaning rust and grime off machine tools. I used a 30 gallon tub, and lined it with a cage of rebar. Filled it with water, mixing in a cup of washing soda. I used a battery charger as the power source. It worked great. I still have it, and use it occasionally. They're pretty simple. I've also done it with a simple plastic cup, and a tiny battery-eliminator that plugs in the wall. That works great for coins, and small items. For the anode, you can use any piece of metal, but stay away from anything stainless.....the remnants are a type of chromium you don't want to be around. I've used plain steel, copper, aluminum (though it gets covered quickly with an insulating layer, and quits working). This isn't rocket science. On my big one, you need a cage for the anode, so it removes rust from all over the item being cleaned. For a cup-sized unit, it doesn't matter so much...I've used a simple piece of 12 gauge copper wire...though it works best if the wire is long enough to bend across the bottom of the cup, and up the other side.
Jim