Honeymooner Accidental Gold Prospectors in the California Mother Lode

mellylou

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Treasure Hunters!

My husband (we were married September 21st, 2013) and I were travelling around the Mother Lode, Yosemite and Mammoth Lakes on our honeymoon and we believe we accidentally found gold ore, while looking for obsidian. Although I cannot disclose the exact location, we found this suspect ore at the mouth of a freshwater spring, in an area which was once famous for gold prospecting and mining. We're not interested in pulverizing, or melting our specimens, but we are indeed curious if what we found was gold. The specimens are mainly quartz, with iron ore and the "gold" formations are veined and specked throughout the pieces. The "gold" has a light yellow shimmer in all light, with some silver flecks and some of it is a muted gold tone. Attached is a picture of a few of our specimens and we can share more pictures later tonight.

What do you think? Fool's gold? Gold ore?

579103_10151653443646304_251270673_n.jpg

Best Regards,
Melissa, in California

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't tell from the pictures but if it is maybe it's a sign that you're sure to reach your "Golden Anniversary" together. Congrats and good luck!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe its Mica scratch with your fingernail if it flakes away rub between your fingers Mica will turn black or crumble away Gold will not.best of luck.

OP
OP
M

mellylou

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the helpful feedback and I wanted to post a few more detailed shots of the specimens. Most everyone has suggested that the gold coloring is mica, but I've scratched the specimens with a needle and they do not flake and they do maintain the scratch marks. At the very least we have some pretty relics from an amazingly beautiful trip--so we're still happy with them!

IMG_3136.jpg IMG_3135.jpg IMG_3133.jpg IMG_3132.jpg

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mellylou, great pictures post them over on the hard rock forum, I bet you will get a lot of feedback, goodluck

Golden-1

Sep 8, 2013
Bieber Ca
Detector(s) used
my eyes work just fine.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
looks like the stuff i found in my rocks witch turned out to be Pyrite "fools Gold" hard to tell from the pics but i am no expert. Good Luck :)

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no visiboe ore just mineralized rock.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View the 'gold' coloration under at least 10x magnification for more information on what the coloration could be. If it does not look like the gold color of a gold ring or it it has square notches to it or if it has thin layers to it then it is not gold. If the pin scratches cause the gold color to smear/roll over to each side of the pin scratch (picture a single plow head turning the earth over in a field) then it could be gold. I hope it is gold but either way it will add some good memories to your marriage and congratulations on tying your lives together through your wedding vows. It is a lifetime improvement project that will take work on both your parts. I'm looking forward to being invited to your 65th wedding anniversary! Oh, and always hold hands when you are out in public and do it as both of you want to!.............................63bkpkr

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr is right, Radio Shack sells a 30x pocket microscope for about 10 bucks, it is easy to tell with that magnification. GL.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your lucky to have gotten married so soon as all parks closed now due to government shutdown. Met friends in reno who were turned away so came to reno to hook up and party together-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions