What's new

Hook help Solved with NEW Pics

chrisplay2004

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
679
Reaction score
70
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More items from the old park site.
It became a park in the 1930's and has not been a public park since the 1970s.
All three of these items were found within 10' of each other.
I have looked for the hook and cannot find a match.
I can tell it was attatched to something but what?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0952.webp
    IMG_0952.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0957.webp
    IMG_0957.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 384
Re: Hook help

Maybe a hook from an old swing set?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

Is the head end squared?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

Yes, the head end is squared 1/2" x 1/2" and end is round.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0954.webp
    IMG_0954.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0959.webp
    IMG_0959.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0958.webp
    IMG_0958.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 418
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

Well I think daroofa is on to something...
I just need to verify the diameter of the squared part.
 

Attachments

  • NOV11_146JJ.webp
    NOV11_146JJ.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

The head looks like a 1/2" carriage bolt head. Of course yours has no threads.
On the scale idea, I don't think that the slotted scale weights will fit on a 1/2" rod.
Cool piece.
 

Attachments

  • carriage bolt.webp
    carriage bolt.webp
    1.7 KB · Views: 390
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

According to this photo I would say it would fit.
However, after looking at hundreds of pictures I cannot find one that does not have a weight attatched to the hanger.
 

Attachments

  • $(KGrHqJ,!p4E8WizKUz!BPODS,GRHw~~60_3.webp
    $(KGrHqJ,!p4E8WizKUz!BPODS,GRHw~~60_3.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 460
  • $(KGrHqRHJCoE8fe09op+BPMb3RHlOg~~60_3.webp
    $(KGrHqRHJCoE8fe09op+BPMb3RHlOg~~60_3.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 464
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

So I finally found a weight that looks like the hook part of hanger would fit through it and the squared part of the end would hold it in place.
Anyone think I am close?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0960.webp
    IMG_0960.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 321
  • $(KGrHqNHJC8E8fZ1QMlFBPIKvdK2BQ~~60_3.webp
    $(KGrHqNHJC8E8fZ1QMlFBPIKvdK2BQ~~60_3.webp
    39.7 KB · Views: 326
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

So I contacted the seller of the slotted weight and they confirmed the exact measurment of the slot is 1 3/4 inches long in the middle of the curves, and 1/2 inch wide. I am thinking of buying it but I still can't figure out if that's what I have... :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

Looking at the photo of the measuring tape and the hook, I don't believe it would fit into the slot.
First off, it's looks like a really tight fit, then once you get the hook part through, you'll have to angle
the rod, and it looks like the hook won't clear the weight before you have to start angling the rod,
thereby blocking the hook from going through.
Now after I typed this, I re-read it and it and I realize its really hard to describe what I mean. I hope this
makes sense to someone.
Also, all the mechanical scales I've seen, all had a base on the hangers that allowed the weights to "nest"
into it.
Lastly, there's a name for these weight and for the life of me I can't remember it. Does anyone know?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

Thanks vhs07.
So I cut a template of the weight and it clearly fits right through with room to spare.
However, your point about having a place to nest leads me to believe that I still have no idea what this hook or hanger is for.
These pics show how the hook fits, but it can't just balance in the center.
Jeesh, what the heck? unless I find a weight with a square 1/2" notch I'm not sure.
I hope IronSpike chimes in with why the question about the squared end.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0961.webp
    IMG_0961.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0962.webp
    IMG_0962.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0963.webp
    IMG_0963.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 289
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

I dont understand why it wont balance. Does it have to nest? Wouldnt the square kind of hold it in place? Is the square end less than 1/2 inch?

I have an old weight with the slot on one side type. I use the weight as a homemade slide hammer. If I ever get to my warehouse I could dig it out and try a 1/2 inch carriage bolt but it could be awhile.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

Well the square end is exactly 1/2". So maybe it would hold.
I guess I am just not convinced it is a weight hanger until I find something even close.
Maybe I will just buy the weight and test it...
If not I bought a $20.50 shipped old weight... :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

It sure looks like #152. Nos 152 and 154 and daroofas picture seem to have a bottom piece to balance. Maybe this is the what we are missing. :dontknow:

I just realized vhs07 said this lol.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

#150 is the one I am looking for.
It looks like the hanger slides in and might have the missing square.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

chrisplay2004 said:
#150 is the one I am looking for.
It looks like the hanger slides in and might have the missing square.
yes 150 also looks like it has a bottom piece for balance.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

chrisplay2004 said:
Thanks vhs07.
So I cut a template of the weight and it clearly fits right through with room to spare.
However, your point about having a place to nest leads me to believe that I still have no idea what this hook or hanger is for.
These pics show how the hook fits, but it can't just balance in the center.
Jeesh, what the heck? unless I find a weight with a square 1/2" notch I'm not sure.
I hope IronSpike chimes in with why the question about the squared end.

Why would the hook hanger need a square neck unless it was used in wood or mortar? Does first weight have a square fit :dontknow:

Added: I think it's solved :blob7: Well done :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hook help

So I had to put my curiosity to ease...
I made an exact replica of a weight with wood (pic 1)
Then I made a makeshift scale holder and put my fake weight on the hanger and it fit perfectly (pic 2)
Even the round end was perfectly flush on the bottom (pic 3)
And there we go Green Check (pic 4)
And finally a nice long electrolysis bath (Pic 5)
Soon it will be in my permanent collection.
Thanks for all your input and special thanks to daroofa for the ID :icon_thumleft: :hello2:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0967.webp
    IMG_0967.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0966.webp
    IMG_0966.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0965.webp
    IMG_0965.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0964.webp
    IMG_0964.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0968.webp
    IMG_0968.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom